You must be logged in to view unread posts.
This post has the following content warnings:
Dec 12, 2019 4:15 PM
Equilibrium!Jay gets dropped on Sith Dusk
Permalink

She's managed to hide herself away in the duct system of the Waystation. The safest place to be. She'd known it was a risk, to sabotage Ma'am's ship. But they were going to die if she hadn't, or worse, and if they'd managed to escape by some miracle, it would've been worse for her in the end. She had expected the pain, expected the punishment. She hadn't expected being left behind here. She knew she wouldn't get far without Ma'am, that was abundantly clear - it didn't help that no-one seemed to speak their language, and she didn't know trade.

So, injured, and alone, she retreated for the ventilation system, and found somewhere to hide. She can still hear the noise of the hundreds of people existing in close confines, and feel the comforting closeness of the walls around her.

Except suddenly those walls are gone. She bolts upright, wincing down from the anticipation of cracking her skull against a roof that is not there. She looks around wildly. What just happened?!

Around her, there is...dirt ground? Rocky. She's planetside then? The visible sky and horizon seem to suggest that. It's warmer than she's used to, by quite a margin with the sun high over head - she can't tell if it's reached it's peak yet or not, she doesn't have that kind of knowledge - and the slight wind doesn't do much to cool her. She needs to find find somewhere to shelter, sooner rather than later.

Total: 2062
Posts Per Page:
Permalink

There isn't much immediately around her; just scrubby bushes and flat rock. The stone formations a little farther away should at least offer shade, though, or perhaps there's a cave in those cliffs.

Permalink

She thinks the cliffs look more promising - there's also the potential to be able to get high and get a better idea of the lay of the land. So she heads for those, keeping fairly low to the ground in an attempt to avoid notice from anybody (or thing) that she has failed to spot.

Permalink

Some kind of large bird circles curiously overhead, but flies off after a minute; otherwise the journey is uneventful.

There are no immediately obvious caves, but the cliff face looks fairly easily climbable.

Permalink

Then climb it she will. It's harder than she thinks it should be - given her injuries, that probably isn't too surprising - but she still makes fairly decent progress. She's not quite overheating when she makes it to the top, but she certainly doesn't feel good. She perches on the edge of the cliff and shields her eyes to try and see what's around her.

Permalink

Nothing like civilization, that's for sure. Scrub, rocks, rocky scrub, stone pillars - a glint of something reflective, way off there in the distance. It doesn't seem to be moving.

Permalink

She chews on her lip, and, eventually, decides to at least find out what that reflective surface is - if it's a ship, she can stow away and hopefully get back to where she was. And if nothing else, hopefully water. She can probably get an idea if either of those two hopes are likely from enough of a distance to keep herself concealed if it happens to have people around it - she's pretty good at sneaking.

Permalink

It's quite a trek, but there's nothing to stop her from trying it.

She hasn't gotten very far at all when she hears the noise of some sort of machinery, very quietly but, if she waits to find out, getting louder.

Permalink

She'll wait, but is there anywhere she can hide? She doesn't want to be out in the open if there's someone - or something - coming.

Permalink

Not really. If she backtracks a little there's a rockfall she can hide behind.

Permalink

She will backtrack and hide then. Better to be out of sight. That way if she needs to defend herself she has a better defensive position.

Permalink

The noise continues getting louder; it seems to be headed right for her hiding spot.

Permalink

Either it doesn't know she's here and it's just a coincidence, and there's no reason to move. (Unlikely.) Or whatever this is has some way of tracking her, and there's no point to moving.

She hasn't seen anything yet. (Except an ominous red flash that made no immediate sense.) So she curls down slightly tighter and pulls the small knife out of her sleeve - just in case.

That does trigger something - a woman, saying... something, trying several different languages, walking around the rockpile that's serving as a shield. She doesn't drop the knife (too high a risk), feints an attacking lunge in an attempt to give herself room to run. And then there's a sound like a laser cutter igniting, a red blade flashes, and her vision blacks out.

So whoever is approaching is potentially dangerous. And she probably shouldn't even feint an attack if she wants to survive this.

Permalink

The sound comes up to the far side of the rockpile and stops, and a moment later a woman's voice - the one from her vision - announces something in an unfamiliar language, annoyed.

Permalink

She doesn't move. Irritating this woman might be a bad idea, but she can see if the woman will go away. (She isn't holding out much hope really, but it is worth a shot.)

Permalink

In a word: no. She tries her announcement in three more languages - vaguely guttural with big rounded vowels; sharp and angry; brisk and tonal - and then strides around the rockpile, tensed for a fight.

Permalink

She considers her options. Which are not very many.

She tucks the knife half away - easy enough to pull free again if she needs to - and slips out of her hiding place once she approximates the woman to be at the furthest point from it. The attempt to run is probably stupid, but she has to try. (Distance between the threat and her.)

Permalink

The woman is supernaturally fast. In barely a handful of seconds she's in front of the girl, brandishing a glowing red bar as if it's a sword and asking a sarcastic question in the first unfamiliar language.

Permalink

She skids to a halt and takes two quick steps back - not running, just putting a bit more space there. She holds her hands out - hoping that works as a gesture of 'not a threat' - eyes focusing on the red blur. (No vision, so no immediate threat, she'll do her best to keep it that way.)

To look at, she isn't much. She looks young, maybe fourteen or fifteen at most, but her dark eyes seem old. Her skin is a dark crimson red, covered with scratches and bruises - and bruiselike marks under her eyes speak more of lack of sleep than injuries. She's obviously malnourished - her cheeks are near hollow, and her clothes that look like they should be close-fitting hang somewhat loose on her frame. Her black hair is brittle, and cropped short and unevenly. Her sleeves don't really hide the burns on her forearms - she's too used to having them rolled back to her elbows - and there's a few other scars visible, the most obvious the one perilously close to her carotid, the one over her eyebrow visible with close observation.

"I- I'm sorry. I don't understand," she says, pointlessly really, she's almost certain this woman can't understand her in turn.

Permalink

The woman peers at her - suspicion, confusion, anger, concern - and shifts to a less aggressive stance; saber still out but just guarding, now.

Permalink

She looks away, down to the side, biting at her lower lip. She's not seeing anything. Which means she's not in immediate danger. But-

She drops to her knees. She has no idea what to do. She's used to not understanding people, but normally she has some sort of cue as to what she needs to do. Here...

She just does her best to project not a threat. (Without actually projecting that, just in case the woman's psychic, that wouldn't end well.)

"Sorry," she mumbles again, not entirely sure what she's apologising for. (She's light-headed now, she hasn't has a drink in too long, has overheated too much, but she's doing her best to push that away.)

Permalink

The woman peers for a moment more, and then the red blade retreats into the copper casing in her hand. She gestures downward - stay - and heads back around to where she left her vehicle.

Permalink

She stays - that's a gesture she can at least recognise. But at least the red blade's vanished - for now. It's one less thing to track.

She does try to get a look at the vehicle, sheer curiosity concerning mechanical things overriding her more normal caution.

Permalink

The vehicle is long and slender, weathered silvery metal. The main body has a leather seat long enough for two people to sit on and a small storage compartment behind it, with handlebars for steering, and two poles hold some sort of small apparatus out in front of it.

The woman retrieves a translucent blue jug of water from the storage compartment and brings it around; she pours some water into her hand and drinks it demonstratively before levitating the jug toward the girl.

Permalink

She can't glean much from the external - it doesn't look like anything she's seen before, but that doesn't really mean much.

The jug does catch her attention, along with the drink the woman takes from it. And then it's levitating. (She'd seen some evidence that people had abilities beyond psychic and her own, but not anything like this.)

She hesitates, before slowly reaching for the jug, half concerned this is some kind of cruel trick. Provided it doesn't get yanked away, she'll take it, and drink a few sips, pacing herself like someone who has experience drinking too fast after going a while without. And then puts it back down - before she could be properly rehydrated, but she has enough for now.

Permalink

The woman watches, still wary, and then sits on the ground, legs crossed, still holding the copper tube, and waits for a moment before closing her eyes.

Total: 2062
Posts Per Page: