May 28, 2022 11:03 PM
rebecca, shannon, and raleigh, plus bonus orion, graduate into velgarth
Next Post »
« Previous Post
+ Show First Post
Total: 440
Posts Per Page:
Permalink

"I was drawing from the sharer, not my reserves, in the hall, but - yeah." She takes her backpack off and hunts through it for her shell. It was basically unsellable, since it's customized. Plank with shell in hand. Lunchtime, conch.

Permalink

Raleigh was drawing from the sharer as well; he's not full up on mana, but he's got some. Shannon didn't have a sharer, though; Sacramento only had one spare for the graduation alliance, and Shannon's contribution was mostly in the form of Healing potions, both the preventative ones they all took beforehand and the stock she brought through with her in case any of them needed urgent healing in order to keep going and there was time for that. And she doesn't have mana storage on her, either; hers was too heavy to be worth carrying, given that she was already carrying their emergency healing supplies. 

He planks and wishes he could feel anything at all on the other end of his power-sharer. 

Permalink

Ten or fifteen minutes pass with nobody coming back to the tent. There are shouts audible outside of it. Running footsteps. Once, a sound that might be a minor explosion. 

Permalink

Orion has never had to build mana normally in his entire life and sort of sits there watching them plank until he hears the explosion, whereupon he pokes out of the tent to see what that was.

Permalink

Some sort of hastily erected wooden lean-to type storage building a hundred yards away is on fire! 

There are some definitely-injured people on the ground, and one person running or at least staggering away with his - no, her - clothes partly on fire, and there are more incomprehensible yells. 

Permalink

"Orion? What's happening out there?" Raleigh is not about to go anywhere closer to that tent-flap. Not that he's sure a tent would offer them any protection, but at least he's out of sight and maybe nobody will notice that there are people in here? 

Permalink

"- Is anyone hurt? I, I still have most of my healing supplies..." 

Permalink

"Somebody's on fire and so's a building!"

Permalink

Rebecca deplanks to get up and - help, since they're adults and can afford that now, probably - they have Orion if anything attacks and what else do you need spare mana for, really...

Permalink

Okay, if Rebecca is helping now too then he can't be a coward and keep hiding. Raleigh hops to his feet as well. Offers Shannon a hand. 

Permalink

She takes it and pulls herself to her feet and blows her nose on her sleeve. 

Permalink

Running slightly-on-fire person slips on some half-melted snow and falls and does not move. 

Permalink

Aaaaaaaaah! That looks pretty bad! Shannon is not stupid enough to run out there first, though, with only her lightweight not-very-magical knife and barely enough mana to cast, like, two combat spells. She'll wait for Orion and follow him. 

Permalink

Rebecca four years ago would have said "ew" about the sleeve handkerchief, possibly even out loud, but nobody makes a trip to the bathroom every time they need to blow their nose in the Scholomance and you can't take the toilet paper out. A boy down the hall from her would just openly lick snot off his hand, and it took her a while to get used to it but it's been a while, now.

She has a spell to put out fire but it won't work on a big fire, it was for alchemy accidents. It might work on the person, if not the building, but the person can roll in the snow, or is possibly already dead. She picks a different more alive injured person and sings to them.

Permalink

Orion goes to the person who is on fire and rolls them over so they will stop.

Permalink

Rebecca's injured person got thrown pretty hard by the explosion and has a very badly broken arm, there's bone sticking out, and judging by the way he's breathing there are probably broken ribs as well. He's conscious, though, and holds still but seems very confused at being sung to by a random teenager not wearing any recognizable uniform. 

Burned person is alive enough to moan when rolled over, but doesn't open her eyes. 

Permalink

Aaaaah she doesn't look awake enough to swallow, which means Shannon can't use a potion, though she swings down her pack and gets out one of the carefully sealed and padded vials anyway, and then she casts one of her in-affinity healing spells. It's in Mandarin - she traded for it with the Shanghai student who graduated last year - and usually this would be really rude to do right there in front of Orion without warning him, but they've graduated now and they're adults and it's fine. 

Permalink

Raleigh doesn't have any especially effective healing spells. He looks around, spots someone bleeding an alarming amount on the snow, runs to Shannon and holds out a hand for a healing potion and then runs over to him and - apparently this person can't do the telepathy? Because he shows no sign of understanding Raleigh and just looks blankly at him, clutching the gushing wound in his thigh. 

He....can try to mime 'drink this'? 

Permalink

There are some shouts in the foreign language, again - confused, not hostile. A cluster of the blue-uniformed soldiers are escorting one of the green-robed people. Someone points at the children, then back at the tent, then calls out something to Orion that is just as incomprehensible as ever. They seem to just be ignoring the burning storage hut, which isn't close enough to anything flammable for the fire to be at particular risk of spreading. 

Permalink

Orion has learned some healing spells but he... was dumping his mana into the power sharer. And doesn't have much right now. And he doesn't have any cheap ones. He stands around awkwardly and looks with confusion at the person shouting at him.

Permalink

Shouting person eventually lets his hands fall, and then turns and jogs off away from the scene, shouting in that direction instead. 

Permalink

Shit and hellfire. What now. 

:Rolan?: Dara sends. :Can you go see what the fuss is? I'm kind of busy: 

Permalink

And then a white horse trots out toward the kids. A different white horse, this time; this is apparent once the stallion is closer, he's a couple of handspans taller at the withers, and...oddly majestic, in a way that doesn't seem just about his size or shining white coat. 

:What are you doing?: he demands, including all of them but directing the Mindspeech mainly to Orion. 

Permalink

"...standing here?" he says. That sounds stupid. "Keeping a lookout for Rebecca's team."

Permalink

:And her team is - volunteering themselves to treat casualties? Why? ...Also, are you not a part of the team - why are you here, then -?: 

Total: 440
Posts Per Page: