May 27, 2022 8:07 PM
rebecca, shannon, and raleigh, plus bonus orion, graduate into velgarth
Next Post »
« Previous Post
+ Show First Post
Total: 440
Posts Per Page:
Permalink

The burned woman moans and stirs. Her burns aren't gone, but she looks noticeably better. 

 

- Another man in red-and-gold robes, muddy but not scorched, nudges through the tent-flap and looks around expectantly. 

The filthy-uniformed soldier beckons to him, then waves to try to get Rebecca's attention. :She needs mage-energy from you to do any more healing magic, can you share some?: 

The mage looks very confused, but extends a hand to Rebecca. 

Permalink

He tries to send mage-energy to her. 

(The first time, it doesn't feel like anything in particular, to Rebecca.) 

....He makes a face. Tries again. 

(This time, it's noticeable that there's something like mana there? But it's as though it's over there, not here, or - like trying to pull from a power-sharer she's not wearing - but not exactly like either of those...) 

Permalink

He's not very good at this. "Uh, I can try to do more of the work if that's not gonna - spook you?"

Permalink

He's done concert work before! It's really confusing that this isn't working! Maybe this random teenager trained with really really different concert work protocols, or something? ...Also he has no idea what she's saying! What language is that, anyway? 

The soldier who happens to also be Gifted with Mindspeech and Foresight understands, because he's reading Rebecca's surface thoughts. He translates. 

"Uh, sure?" 

:He says that's fine: the soldier relays. 

Permalink

She pulls - suuuuper gently, it's not like he isn't trying to give her the mana but she doesn't wanna hurt anybody. Like she's trying to get the stitches out of a wound.

Permalink

(This works.) 

 

The mage is really glad she warned him first! Because that's super weird! It kind of feels like an attack, of some kind, though unclear what! 

Permalink

"Dude if you're giving somebody mana you don't have to make them feel like they're a maleficer for accepting it!" she mutters, but she fills up and then turns to their patient and sings.

Permalink

The mage has no idea what he's saying! His colleague doesn't deign to translate it, so he can go on peacefully not knowing why she looks so annoyed about this. 

The mage does watch in rapt amazement while she sings. To mage-sight, it doesn't look anything like a Healer working, or very much like any mage-work he's ever seen. He waits for her to finish before interrupting, though, and whispering to the Mindspeaker. 

:He wants to know where you learned that magic: his colleague relays. :It looks very unusual: 

Permalink

"The Scholomance!" she says. "I don't think it's that weird, lots of spells are sung."

Permalink

More mutters. 

:Are you Bardic Gifted?: the soldier asks. 

Permalink

"...what's that?"

Permalink

:It's the Gift that works via music! Do you not have Bards, where you're from?: 

Permalink

"I dunno what you're talking about. I'm a wizard."

Permalink

Blinkblink. :A mage?: 

Permalink

"Sure? Is there anybody else here who needs singing to -"

Permalink

:Some less critical injuries, but -: his eyes dart toward the tent flap, :- but we're not very safe here. I just got word, there may be enough uninjured mages to manage a Gate out. We would of course be willing to evacuate you with us: 

Permalink

"To, like, somewhere warm, maybe?"

Permalink

He shares a sympathetic smile with her. :I should hope so! We'll be headed for the closest Gate-location anyone has that's confirmed safe and has a House of Healing or at least basic infirmary facilities: 

Permalink

Shannon, included in this as well, nods. "And you'll have someone who can share mana with us there as well? I'm really low." 

Permalink

:Yes, of course: Another reassuring smile. 

Permalink

- wait, who are they evacuating with and where? Raleigh hates not knowing the plan. Getting out of the active war zone and moving to somewhere with indoors and heating seems like a pretty big improvement, though. 

Permalink

Rebecca agrees! "Do you need us to do anything in particular for your gate spell -"

Permalink

:No, just - wait here, it's safest, and on my go, follow me out and line up to get through: He glances over at the mage with the burns, whose color looks substantially better now but who is still visibly very groggy. :If any of you think you're up for helping carry a litter, we could use that: 

Permalink

"Of course!" What's he going to do, say no to helping the horribly injured war casualty??? 

Total: 440
Posts Per Page: