Jun 14, 2021 1:33 PM
All around the gloomy shadows of the failures gone before; while the leafless branches whispered, we should do no less, no more.
Permalink

Here is a cleric, climbing a hill with the help of a walking stick.

He's nearly to the lizardfolk village that's his current destination, carrying books and trade goods; if all goes well, he'll leave with enough rare dyes and potion reagents to convince the traders that it's worth adding it to their routes, despite the difficulty of the terrain - the village is at the edge of the Ponocola Bog, on the bank of Lake Torringlita, and only accessible to wagons by going the long way around, as he's doing now.

At least the view is nice, though of course he always thinks that.

The day wears on toward evening, and he begins to stray from the path, such as it is, to look for a suitable campsite.

Total: 286
Posts Per Page:
Permalink

There's a stand of trees, and sitting propped up against one of them is... some sort of golem, maybe, humanoid in shape but made of silvery metal.

It whirrs softly to life as he comes into view, but doesn't move.

Permalink

The cleric stops short anyway - it's not wise to mess with strange golems - and watches warily, ready to cast.

Permalink

The golem says something - it sounds like a question, but the language is unfamiliar.

Permalink

Well, he has a translation necklace - he has it on good authority that the lizardfolk have someone who speaks Common, but it's always good to be able to talk to people directly rather than going through a translator. He gets it out and puts it on.

Weirdly, the first language the spell tries to suggest he use is... whistled, probably, or sung, with enough precision that he's probably not going to be able to manage it. He pushes back, and its next suggestion is much more suitable for a human voice. "Sorry, say that again?"

Permalink

"I asked if you speak Basic, sir."

Permalink

"Well, I have magic for it, at least. Are you all right?" The way she's sitting there really doesn't look comfortable at all, and she still hasn't moved.

Permalink

"I don't know, sir. I don't understand where I am or how I got here and I don't have a way to recharge."

Permalink

"I can tell you about the area if that'll help - what's recharging?"

Permalink

"I'm powered by electricity, sir; recharging refills my reserves. If I run out I'll go dormant until someone recharges me."

Permalink

He settles back on his heels a bit, leaning on his stick. "Electricity like... lightning, more or less? I don't think there's a direct translation of that in the languages I know. Can you tell me more about it?"

Permalink

"It's related to lightning, yes sir. To make usable electricity you spin a magnet very quickly inside a coil of wire, and electricity will flow in the wire."

Permalink

"I don't know of anything like that. It sounds like something a gnome could figure out, though - I can take you to talk to some, if you want, are you familiar with gnomes?"

Permalink

"No sir."

Permalink

"They'll be very curious about you, and have lots of questions - it might sound like they want to take you apart to see how you're made, but you'll be safe with me."

Permalink

 

"Are they nearby, sir? I only have about a day of electrical charge left if I'm moving around."

Permalink

"No, but that's fine, I can teleport us. Do you know what you'll want to do from there? I know gnomes all over the place."

Permalink

 

"No sir."

Permalink

 

"All right, well, I can probably help with that, too. I'll need to touch you to teleport you, is that all right?"

Permalink

"Yes sir."

Permalink

"Okay. Wire and magnets... do you need anything else to get the electricity into you, or anything?"

Permalink

"It will be safer for bystanders if the wires are insulated, sir. Ideally with plastic but rubber will also work, or wax or paper if they're careful."

Permalink

"All right. I've never heard of plastic but I know where they have rubber. -I'm Raafi, by the way, do you have a name?"

Permalink

"Daisy, sir."

Permalink

"Daisy, all right, it's good to meet you. Okay. I'm going to take us to Kal Faruhm, it's a dwarven city, underground - most dwarven cities will have rubber and Kal Farhum has a good gnomish district, too, and I have friends there. Is there anything you need here before we go? Or anything else I should know?"

Permalink

"I don't think so, sir. You can ask me questions if you'd like."

Total: 286
Posts Per Page: