Oct 20, 2021 7:08 AM
Eliza in Sentinels of the Multiverse
+ Show First Post
Total: 161
Posts Per Page:
Permalink

"Watch where you're going, dammit!" snaps Ice Guy, who has still not introduced himself. He turns to go through the window, then looks again. "Frosted hells, Tachs, what happened to you?" 

Permalink

The woman's bruised in several places and bleeding through a rip in her white-and-red suit. No head wounds, thankfully, but she wobbles as she tries to stand. "Ow, shit, what a day. Hi I'm Tachyon I usually don't run into things it's nice to meet you gotta run - " except she staggers rather than speeds. "Okay, okay, 'm gonna be there when the spin stops rooming..." 

She slides to the ground, breathing shallowly...

Permalink

...and a roundish object slips from her hand onto the floor. 

Permalink

Eliza definitely looks worried when the woman slides to the ground. She quickly hurries over-she's got enough experience with basic first aid to at least tell if this is a dangerous coma or not.

"Um...do you think this had anything to do with that?" she asks Ice Guy, gesturing at the round object and poking it slightly with a foot.

Permalink

She's unconscious but not comatose. 

Permalink

Ice Guy is distracted, talking into his helmet. "Tachyon's down...and you never heard from her after you lost contact? Okay. Yeah, a pickup would be great, I can't protect Bunker and Tachs both. Still want to give Magic Girl the...? Okay, on it."

He returns his attention to Eliza, then looks at the indicated object. "No clue. Sleuthing is Wraith's department. Think you could get it to her if we give you directions? You're more mobile than me or Bunker. Rescue's inbound for Tachyon," he adds. 

Permalink

Eliza nods, looking determined as she scoops up the object, also testing its weight slightly. Could she carry this in her mouse form? "Yeah, I can do that no problem. She's not in a coma, at least."

Permalink

It's a bit too large for a mouse to carry. Five inches on a side, maybe four at the narrowest point, and with the texture and weight of stone. The carving on the surface, faintly birdlike, is worn smooth. Slippery, almost. 

Permalink

With a nod, Ice Guy leads the way into the parking lot...

Permalink

...where Bunker is still aiming the giant humming cannon at the flying fortress. A bright blue glow emanates from its barrel. 

The white-suited man with the blue cape leaves off his assault on the platform and dives to the parking lot. "Great work, everyone! Bunker, take the shot, I'll guide it away from the towers!" 

Bunker obliges. A brilliant blue-white beam spears skyward...

Permalink

...at the exact same moment as a shot from the platform catches White-and-Blue in the back, flinging him into the path of the beam. 

Permalink

"SHIT! Legacy!"

Permalink

He reels, suit torn and blasted, and starts to fall. 

Permalink

As they walk into the parking lot, Eliza recalls some of her mentor's advice about caution, and takes a handkerchief out of one of her pockets to wrap up the object before tucking it back in.

Eliza stares, shocked for a moment, then screams out a "NO!" before she spreads her wings and takes off, Blade following after her almost immediately. The guy looks pretty heavy, but she reaches out to try and grab one of his arms while Blade grabs the other, doing their best to at least slow the fall. She manifests a quick illusion around them as she does-just some illusory smoke spreading out around them randomly, but hopefully it'll be enough to prevent them from getting hit with another shot.

Permalink

He's heavy, and falling fast, but Eliza and Blade together have the strength to arrest his fall. Barely. 

He's not unconscious, just stunned and, judging by the angry burns all along his right side, in considerable pain. His body lightens as he regains his bearings and starts to hover under his own power. "Th-thanks," he coughs. Then, his recovering gaze fixes on something beyond the illusion-smoke. "Look out!" 

An enemy soldier - looks like they missed one, or else he was scouting during the scuffle - has leveled a sniper rifle out of an upper-story window at Eliza. Bunker whirls and aims a minigun at the offending window, but he's not fast enough - 

- and then another shot from the platform, aimed at Legacy and Eliza, whizzes through the illusion-smoke. It misses by a yard.

And it nails the sniper dead in the chest. He drops backward out of sight, without so much as a Wilhelm scream. 

Permalink

But someone screams, a shriek of rage and frustration. Eliza hears it clearly, even over all the chaos. 

Permalink

Eliza's head whips rapidly in that direction, staring wide-eyed. She starts flying back towards ground-level, though. There's still the issue of delivering that round thing, she can't just go flying off to investigate. Still, she's very curious now.

"Who's that?" she asks, directed at the current group in general.

Permalink

Legacy drops as well, and gives her a blank stare. The heroes wearing full facemasks are harder to read, but they're looking at her. "Who's what?" asks Legacy, puzzled. 

Permalink

"Um...I just heard someone else screaming, after that guy got shot." She points up at the now-guyless window. "I don't think it was him."

Permalink

Ice Guy puts a wall of ice between them and the floating platform for cover. Then another between them and the building, for good measure. 

Legacy frowns, then shakes his head, breathing hard. "We have larger problems, I'm afraid." 

Bunker starts to apologize, but Legacy waves him off. "It was just rotten luck, friend. Good thinking, Zero, that should buy us time to regroup." 

Zero, apparently, nods. "Bunker, you got that communicator for our friend here?" 

Bunker opens a panel in his rather large suit and, with surprising dexterity given his gauntleted hands, turns over a small earpiece for Eliza. At Legacy's request, he digs out a second one, which Legacy puts in his uninjured left ear. 

"Wraith will direct you with that, Eliza," Legacy nods at the earpiece. "Something's been interfering with us in this fight, we'd normally have brought that thing down by now. Think you can help us figure out what?" 

Permalink

Eliza takes the earpiece with equal delicacy and tucks it onto her ear, which luckily hasn't shifted in shape much. "I'm hoping so!" she says. "I did find this weird round thing I'm going to bring over, I also wrapped it up just in case touching it has a worse effect." It did potentially make Tachyon run into a desk, after all. She's bouncing a bit on her heels again, ready to take off. "Um...should I recall Blade to make for a smaller target, or do you think it's okay if he flies with me?"

Permalink

"Blade...? Oh, the bird. That's your call," Legacy conceals a wince. "You're unlikely to get shot at, though, we alerted the military and police to your presence and...Baron Blade..." he nods towards the floating platform, "doesn't have that many goons." He turns to the others. "Bunker, set up again for another shot, Zero, keep this zone clear. I'll head back up and..." 

In unison, Bunker and Zero choke out, "NO!" 

"...I'll make sure Tachyon gets to the hospital safely. Then I will be back and I'll help keep this area clear of lingering goons." He pauses to listen to something from his earpiece. "Right, let's move!" 

 

"Hello Eliza," says a young woman's voice in Eliza's ear. "This is Wraith. Thank you for helping; I'll guide you to your destination. I have a feeling we should talk." 

Permalink

Blade chirps proudly and snuggles slightly closer to Eliza, and she pats him on the head. "Don't worry, you're clearly the superior Blade," she reassures him. "I'm guessing that you want to come along, then?" He nods and chirps harder, before glancing over at Zero. "Do you want me to leave Witch here with you? She's got better range with her Fire-type moves, and she can also confuse enemies."

When she receives the notification from Wraith, she nods for a moment before realizing that doesn't quite work. She fumbles a bit, trying to figure out how the transmission works. Assuming she does figure it out, she'll give a quick response of "Of course!" as she rises into the air. "I can fly, so just give me the most direct route you can!"

Permalink

"How well does Witch understand orders? Will she do what we say?" asks Zero skeptically. "If so, sure." 

 

The earpiece has an easy-to-reach button on the side. Push-to-talk is a reasonable assumption. 

Wraith directs her to head south, orthogonal to the floating platform's path but putting a few buildings between her and it, once she finishes here. 

Permalink

"She'll listen to you if I tell her to," says Eliza, nodding reassuringly as she takes out another Pokeball. She presses the button, and another creature appears in a flash of light, radiating an aura of warmth. She shakes her head from side to side, looking around at the gathered crowd in confusion. Eliza reaches out to pat her on the head. "Hey Witch," she says. "Me and Blade are going on a flying mission, okay? Can you listen to Zero here for a bit? He just needs Fire-type moves to power up his own abilities." The fox Pokemon looks skeptical, but nods and pads over to his side. Eliza watches for a bit more, making sure that she looks like she'll listen, before taking off, Blade following after.

Staying out of the platform's path sounds reasonable, so she takes the advised route. Blade is flying beside her, head turned to watch for trouble, and her snake-headed tail is also now awake and alert, allowing them to be able to pay a fair amount of attention to anyone that might be aiming a gun at them.

Total: 161
Posts Per Page: