Oct 01, 2020 2:46 PM
eclipse bell in mdzs
Permalink

The forest is dark, and calm, and quiet. Birds chirp in the trees, and herbivores snuffle around in the underbrush or bolt at the scent of a predator, but nothing more aggressive than nature itself can dwell long here without being discovered and dealt with, one way or another. 

In a clearing, a brook winds its way through shallow curves in the hillside. Anything remotely supernatural that happened here would definitely be noticed within less than an hour. 

Total: 1107
Posts Per Page:
Permalink

There tumbles into the scene a strange young woman with a rattan cane in business casual. She comes to a stop near the brook, catches her breath, and sits up slowly.

Permalink

A small dark rabbit that froze when a strange human showed up out of nowhere resumes nibbling grass. 

Permalink

"Hi, bunny, don't mind me..." She should maybe be conservative with precognition if she's not going to find any food, but, well, one way to know if she's going to find any food is to check what happens if she were to follow this brook downstream. After alerting Alex. - she can't reach Alex and that's very concerning but she will still check what would happen if she walked along the stream.

Permalink

She doesn't find anything immediately edible in the first five minutes, after which a serious-looking man in traditional Chinese robes with a sword at one hip and some kind of string instrument at the other emerges from behind her and asks her something in Mandarin. 

Permalink

Five minutes isn't very long but how does he react to the "I do not speak your language" shtick -

Permalink

After it is sufficiently established that no, she does not speak any of the dialects he tries, he pulls out the instrument, sets it down in midair in front of him, then plays a few bars of music on it, stops, and plucks a handful of individual notes. 

Somehow, each one is comprehensible as though it were an English word. 

(Who) (are) (you) (How) (did) (you) (arrive)

Permalink

She doesn't have long to decide what to do here and can't precog and walk at the same time, but he's at least not going for the sword right away. Supposing she tells him her name is Isabella Swan and she doesn't know how she got here -

Permalink

Each word she speaks causes the instrument to emit a note without his touching it. 

(Do) (you) (have) (any) (guesses) (?)

Permalink

"Not good ones."

Permalink

Nod. (Are) (you) (alright)

Permalink

Yeah, okay, she'll run this in real life. She gets up and picks her way along the bank of the brook, poking suspect areas with her cane.

Permalink

He catches up with her. Bizarre musical conversation ensues. 

Permalink

"I'm a little scraped up but not too bad. Where am I?"

Permalink

(Gu) (Su) 

(Forest) (outside) (Cloud) (Recesses)

Permalink

"...where is that?"

Permalink

(Jiang) (nan) (region) (south) (of) (Yang) (tze) (river)

Permalink

"Okay, I've heard of the Yangtze River. I... don't understand the magic you're using."

Permalink

(Explain)

Permalink

"I'm used to there being mages and psions. Translation is something psions can do, but not with... musical instruments."

Permalink

(I) (am) (not) (familiar) (with) ("mages") (and) ("psions")

Permalink

"...what's the thing you're doing instead?"

Permalink

(I) (am) (a) (cultivator) (of) (the) (Gu) (su) (Lan) (sect)

Permalink

"Well. I'm not familiar with that. And am starting to suspect that you do not have a phone I can borrow."

Permalink

(I) (am) (not) (familiar) (with) ("phone") (either)

Permalink

"Uh-huh. Um, what year is it?"

Total: 1107
Posts Per Page: