Jul 04, 2020 10:30 AM
Occlus meets a redeemed Darth Vader
Next Post »
« Previous Post
+ Show First Post
Total: 901
Posts Per Page:
Permalink

She glances at Occlus, raising an eyebrow.

Permalink

She shrugs.

Permalink

"Somewhere safe to set out from and return to would be quite welcome. We'll have to consider the matter of a local guide a bit longer, I think."

Permalink

"Fair enough. There's a landing area here," he sends coordinates, "though I dare say you can see it from up there well enough."

Permalink

"Alright, thanks."

She turns to focus on bringing the ship in to land.

Permalink

It is, contrary to Karrde's assertion, not entirely visible from above, being mostly shaded by the trees. There are several mid-size freighters and a few one- and two-person fighters, but there's still room enough for her shuttle.

Karrde himself is waiting by the edge of the landing area closest to the compound, with a red-haired woman and two vornskrs on a leash.

Permalink

"Hello," she says.

Permalink

The vornskrs snap and hiss at Ani, and more strongly at Occlus.

"Easy, Sturm, Drang," Karrde says. "Chin, come take them." One of the workers ambles over and takes the leash, pulling the two away with muttered soothing nonsense and a little bit of effort. "I apologize for them. They're usually better behaved around guests; removing the tails has that effect. I'm Talon Karrde." He gestures to the woman beside him. "My associate, Mara Jade. Welcome to Myrkr."

Permalink

...She recognizes Mara Jade.

Well, that's an interesting complication. Still, she's hardly one to criticize where someone else has made their new life.

"It's alright. I think most animals hate me, honestly. I'm Ani, and this is my associate, Occlus. Thank you for the welcome."

Permalink

Mara recognizes Ani too, if the slight twitch away and faint grimace are anything to go by.

"A pleasure to meet you both," Karrde says. He offers a businessman's handshake.

Permalink

She takes it, still smiling, and not looking at Mara too much.

"The pleasure is all ours."

Permalink

"The main hall is this way." He starts walking. "Can I offer you anything to eat or drink?"

Permalink

"Perhaps a topographical map of the area. Seismic readings, if you have any."

Karrde strokes his beard thoughtfully. "We may be able to pull something up."

Permalink

"Not exactly edible, though. I wouldn't mind a small drink, myself, or a snack."

She follows along.

Permalink

The main hall is a relaxing atrium, with comfortable seating and a glass roof enabling the luxuriant greenery. Mara goes off to procure refreshments and cartography, while Karrde plays host, engaging his guests in chatter and gently trying to probe their purpose.

Permalink

Ani is both socially adept and enjoying herself. She dances around Karrde's questions, never giving any substantive answers, asking a few in return - mostly somewhat teasingly.

Permalink

Karrde seems to genuinely enjoy the banter. Mara's mouth tightens when she returns, setting down the tray with drinks, snacks, and a datapad with perhaps slightly more force than necessary. She retreats to stand behind Karrde, opposite of Ani.

Permalink

Occlus takes the datapad off the tray, arching an eyebrow at Mara, who glares back in return. She activates its projector function, showing a map of the local area.

     "What are you looking for?" Karrde asks.

"A door," Occlus says.

Permalink

Mara scoffs. "There's no door in the forest. No civilization anywhere inside. You're hunting a myth."

Permalink

"I know there is a door," Occlus says mildly, "because I put one here." She points at a hillside on the map. "It seems we will require shovels, and strong backs to wield them, if you care to extend your offer of assistance that far."

Karrde strokes his beard. "I think we can accommodate that." One of his men comes into the room and hurries over to whisper in his ear. "-Ah, please excuse me for one moment." He follows the other out.

Permalink

She avoids antagonizing Mara. Mostly.

" - Is something the matter?"

Permalink

Mara looks down at her wristcomm.

"Nothing for you to worry about."

Permalink

"Alright."

Still - she's alert, pretty much just to her regular senses, with the Force being dampened here.

Permalink

There begins to be a definite air of people moving with purpose.

Karrde comes back a couple minutes later. "My apologies, but I think it's best if the two of you move off base for a little while. Some other guests have just invited themselves."

Permalink

She stands. "I'm assuming someone we don't want to meet."

Total: 901
Posts Per Page: