Dec 12, 2019 3:49 AM
a guide to fairies entering the service of some other fairies
Permalink

She falls silently.

She didn't try to avoid the tear, but that doesn't mean going through it solves all her problems; she still has lots of those. She can't scream, though - while she would if she could - it's not really her top priority. She can't arrest her fall because she's only allowed to fly in the course of making progress toward her destination and this isn't it, no direction is. She can't heal herself and it is likely she still wouldn't be able to even if somebody found her and did all the essential things, since this is presumably the mortal world, so she's sort of twitching, trying to arrange to land on something that isn't already injured, so she can heal naturally a bunch of things in parallel instead of one worse thing over much longer. She mostly succeeds. Breaks a leg when she hits the ground and still doesn't scream.

Total: 1646
Posts Per Page:
Permalink

It doesn't take very long for people to find her. She can hear their voices in the distance. 

"Identify your- oh."

      "It's slow."

"It can't be slow, it wasn't here an hour ago. It could be dead."

      "Or could've recently slowed."

"Here? What are we supposed to do if -"

      The voices get closer. Someone pokes her, touches her - "not slow and not dead. Maybe someone - tried, and failed? Or didn't care to on our territory?"

       "Dying?"

"I don't think so." The nearest person explores more closely. "I don't see anything that ought to kill her."

       "Do you recognize her?"

 "No."

        "Someone might recognize her, if we take her back."

"Yeah, all right. Go and ask if they want her, and if so how, and where."

Permalink

This is all very puzzling but she can't exactly inquire about it. She blinks at them.

Permalink

The people who blink back at her are wearing sparkly clothes made out of some odd flowing fabric, and sandals of the same fabric. They're carrying a single polished carved stick not long enough to be a walking cane, each of them, and they look as puzzled as her. 

 

One of them goes off. The other one watches her anxiously.

Permalink

She is wearing a dress made of leaves. She has a twisted ankle and a broken leg and a black eye and a wrenched elbow. She's not completely immobile but she doesn't seem inclined to move around much. She's got wings, which might also be made of leaves - giant ones.

Permalink

The wings are weird.

 

The whole situation is weird, actually, and accordingly stressful. Her observer sits and glares.

Permalink

She doesn't know what his problem is and if she did she couldn't do anything about it.

Permalink

The other one comes back a while later. "We're sending people to ask if any of them did this. In the meantime we can bring her back - in deep enough she won't disobey, once she's recovered enough to start moving, but not more than that - we're happy to set you even later," she adds to the injured person, "if all goes well. Do you want a drink or a story?"

Permalink

...she's not sure what's going on. She does blink at "drink".

Permalink

"I don't think she can talk," says the one who stayed with her. 

     "Does she have a tongue?"

"Didn't check."

    "Drink or a story?" asks the one who asked last time.

Permalink

She tries opening her mouth.

Permalink

And someone pours a little bottle of something sweet and unfamiliar into her mouth -

 

And then yelps in distress and alarm a second later -

Permalink

She swallows it.

She blinks at them.

Permalink

"What's wrong? Oh - shit - "

      "Yes! I don't know! I didn't do it on purpose - I don't know what it is I didn't mean to -"

"We should report that -"

       The person who just fed Promise some liquid whimpers. 

"Oh, stop that. Think for a second, all right? Right now she's too injured to do anything, so right now we have some time to consider our options. The more reasonable you are, the more appealing "keep her for study" looks, and the less anyone's going to consider cutting you both loose. But the more you act like a scared child -"

        "I realize this," the whimpering person whimpers, not any calmer. "But I didn't - there was no way to - who knows what'll happen when we pick her up to carry her in -"

"We shouldn't do that," agrees the other one. "We should report this, like I said."

       "Right. Okay."

"You should stay here with her and do nothing while I go report it, really."

       "Right, okay."

 

Permalink

They're doing a surprising amount of debating about what to do. They sound like they must belong to somebody but she's never heard of a court leaving vassals, let alone mortal ones, with this much leeway.

Permalink

The person who fed her sits and watches miserably. 

Permalink

Well, that makes two of them.

She's not too injured to do anything, they must not be very observant. Maybe they figure if she's this roughed up she's hiding a lot of internal damage? But then she wouldn't be sitting up.

Permalink

Two people come back, a little while later. The person who is sitting and watching her stands up. "Did you explain - I don't know what happened -"

"I explained." 

         "We want you to ask her some questions," says the unfamiliar person. 

"Okay. I can do that."

There's some whispering. 

 

"Are you capable of speech?"

 

Permalink

Blink blink blink.

Permalink

Whispering. 

"Do you know why giving you a drink had the effect that it did?"

Permalink

Blink blink blink. She has no idea what framework these weirdos are operating under; she knows some things about the effect but apparently a disjoint set from what they know.

Permalink

"Is the thing that happened when I gave you a drink going to happen if we pick you up and take you to our court?"

Permalink

...blinkblink. Assuming it's not some completely other thing.

Permalink

"I think that's a no." Whispering. 

"Are you dying?"

Permalink

...blinkblink.

Permalink

"If we take you back with us, do you have plans to entangle people or break rules while at our court?"

Total: 1646
Posts Per Page: