This post has the following content warnings:
Mar 21, 2019 10:48 AM
Fuschias and Palatinates continue to play with time
Next Post »
« Previous Post
Permalink

Up above the hole in the ground, Ira is speaking to her watch:

"Are you certain?"

"It's not that I don't trust you. It's just that you said we didn't do this until after..."

"But this reduces our advantage-"

Total: 1256
Posts Per Page:
Permalink

"Alright. Fine."

"No. No. I'll do it. -That many? I don't think the watch will..."

"I understand."

Permalink

"I will call them right away."

Permalink

This happens at an inconvenient but not disastrous time.

Bina's arm flares blindingly bright green.

She sways - 

But compensates as she jumps.

Permalink

Jenn wraps an arm around Bina as she lands on the scaffolding. "You okay?" she asks, eyes drawn to her arm.

Permalink

"Yeah."

The arm's still glowing.

"It hurts. I don't know what it's doing."

Permalink

Jenn nods. "Let's--just get down. We can figure it out. But we should get away from here."

Permalink

"Right."

She starts climbing.

Permalink

Jenn keeps pace with her climbing down, but drops the last few feet and looks around for Elizabeth.

Permalink

Peering into the distance, concerned.

"I think I hear something."

Permalink

Jenn pauses, listening intently.

Permalink

A wet, sucking sound, like something moving through the mud.

Many somethings.

Permalink

"Shit. We need to move. Bina, can you run?"

Permalink

"Uh, yeah, think so."

Permalink

"There's an exit towards the subway, I've memorized the map - "

Permalink

" - We need to get to the Moment, that's supposed to be safe. Ish."

Permalink

"Let's just get ourselves some space. Which way's the subway?" (Because if it's approximately the same direction as Bina thinks the moment is in, they're not going to lose anything by aiming in that direction.)

Permalink

"In Sector Seven, there's a map in that tent in camp - but I think it's that way."

Permalink

"...The Moment's in the other direction."

Permalink

Jenn presses a hand to her face. Can she tell what direction the sounds are coming from?

Permalink

Everywhere. They're pretty much surrounded. There's more farther out.

Permalink

She needs height. And time to think. She's willing to accept Bina's word that they need to get to the Moment. She points - in a third direction, midway between the two points. "We're running that way. That way we don't lead these things to either our exit or our safe space. We'll find somewhere to bunker down and think."

Permalink

"Right. Makes sense."

Permalink

"Yeah..."

Permalink

And Jenn starts running. Running through mud isn't anyone's idea of a good time, but she doesn't want to walk.

Permalink

Elizabeth is a good runner, too, especially for a construction site manager.

Total: 1256
Posts Per Page: