This post has the following content warnings:
Mar 21, 2019 9:41 AM
Fuschias and Palatinates continue to play with time
Next Post »
« Previous Post
+ Show First Post
Total: 1256
Posts Per Page:
Permalink

Bina is not.

Permalink

Jenn notices, and adjusts her pace so that she's keeping pace with Bina. She's not leaving her behind.

She keeps a careful eye on their surroundings. Both for threats, and for somewhere to bunker down.

Permalink

"I think it's the bodies," Elizabeth observes after a while and a few things stirring in the mud. "Reanimating. There's clusters where we've cleared more, but - mostly closer to the camp."

"In this direction - there's two cleared buildings. Three-fourteen and eight-forty-six. Three-fourteen's closer, but not by much - we're in sector two right now, and we can cut towards sector three, near the camp and that 'Moment' Bina mentioned, or to the edge and sector eight. Sector eight has fewer buildings and fewer bodies, and I think is more defensible, but the stretch between two and eight hasn't been cleared at all."

Permalink

Jenn tries to remember the map she'd looked at earlier. "Three-fourteen for now." Then they can regroup, and try and figure out and actual plan.

Permalink

"Right. There's an alleyway over there, by three-ten, or we can double back to camp - but I don't know if the camp bodies are reanimating, too."

Permalink

"Alleyway," Jenn says. She's not willing to risk the bodies at the camp being among the reanimated. Not unless she has to.

Permalink

"This way, then."

Luckily even with Bina limping and clutching her still throbbing, still glowing arm, it's a fairly short way, and they dodge the corpses. The building's two stories, with an exterior fire escape, and small and dark. There's very few windows.

Permalink

Jenn considers it for a moment, before nodding. It'll have to do. She fall back so she's bringing up the rear, ushering Bina and Elizabeth ahead of herself.

Permalink

They enter into the lower level - Elizabeth and Bina immediately start barricading entrances. There's plenty of shelves and furniture and unidentifiable equipment about with which to do that.

Permalink

Jenn does a quick scan of the room, but providing she doesn't see any threats, she'll help barricade the entrances as well.

Permalink

Nothing immediate.

Elizabeth isn't exceptionally strong, but she has a good sense for what's a good defense and what isn't. This furniture is solid, though, at least, good wood and metal.

Permalink

Jenn sees the logic in that, and puts her own strength to good use.

Permalink

Once they finish: "We should get the upstairs window by the fire exit, too."

There's a metallic crash from outside.

"...Fast."

Permalink

Jenn finds the stairs and races to the level above, hoping there's materials for barricading the window as well.

Permalink

Elizabeth follows.

They're not as good. Mostly shelving units - thinner, easier to break - but they're better than nothing, and there's a single thin desk. (Elizabeth proposes two shelves next to each other in front of the window, the third shelf behind them, and the desk pushed against that for good measure.)

Permalink

Jenn thinks about it, and then nods, setting about moving the pieces into the correct place.

Permalink

A hand goes through the window as they're moving the second shelf.

Elizabeth hits it with a hammer.

It retracts, hammer and all.

Permalink

"-Shit," Jenn states, shoving the shelves into place with perhaps a bit more force than necessary.

Permalink

"That does not seem good, yeah," Elizabeth agrees, helping shove.

There's a sort of shlopp sound outside.

Permalink

"Any idea if it's possible to get to the roof?" Jenn asks, finishing up with the shelves, and starting to shove the desk into place.

Permalink

"I haven't worked down here as much, but most of them had a roof ladder - exterior, though, usually from the fire escape. Only a few had interior access points."

Permalink

Jenn nods. Eyes the window. "I think that's as secure as we're getting for now."

And starts to head back to Bina.

Permalink

Who has started trying to find ways to cover her arm better. The glow seems to be going down on its own a bit, though.

"I think the light's attracting them," she says, voice frustrated. "Or causing them. Or something."

Permalink

Jenn nods gravely. "We need a plan quickly then."

Permalink

"I'm not sure we can safely get anywhere. At least not now. But... If they're following me. I might be able to keep them here, or lead them in circles, or trap them somewhere I can get out of but they can't. And you guys could - get supplies, or help, or something."

Total: 1256
Posts Per Page: