This post has the following content warnings:
Dec 08, 2019 4:18 PM
jean and imrainai in the good place
+ Show First Post
Total: 363
Posts Per Page:
Permalink

"I mean, there's no hurry. But it seems like something to look into, I think, given how much time we have on our hands. I was wondering if you'd like to have Egbert and his soulmate over for dinner sometime? I was thinking it'd be good to try to get to know some of our neighbors."

Permalink

"Of course! That's a great idea. Maybe next week, give you some time to get settled in before trying to host social events?"

Permalink

"Sure! Leeet's see, I'm not sure if we're still using days of the week here, so - eight days from now, around 5 PM? Does that work for you, Egbert?"

Permalink

"Yes, all right."

Permalink

"Great! See you then!"

She takes Jean's hand and pulls him in a random direction until they're well out of earshot.

"He's fantastic. Bluntest and most pedantic person I've met in years. Also the most sincere person I've run into here by a long shot, self included. Really genuinely a pleasure to talk to, somehow. You don't have to cook the dinner, by the way, if the kitchen's intent on murdering us then it seems like whoever wants to use it should be the person to brave its attacks."

Permalink

"But you've already been wounded in battle. I can hardly send you back to the front lines." He takes her hand, turns it over to gently kiss the injured palm.

Permalink

You know, it really says something about the restorative power of Egbert's presence that this doesn't make her want to sink into the floor and possibly die again.

" - oh no, I forgot to tell him where our house is. We're totally going to argue about who gets to fight the kitchen after I get back, though! Hold that thought!"

And she dashes off to find Egbert and correct her mistake. He can't have gotten very far.

Permalink

Egbert is nowhere to be seen.

Permalink

Darn. Hopefully she'll be able to find him again before eight days have elapsed. He seems like the sort of person who might decide to randomly become a hermit in the woods for seventy years with relatively little preamble, but maybe Michael can point her in the right direction next time she sees him. She heads back to Jean.

"No luck, I'll have to try tracking him down later."

Permalink

"I'm sure it won't be too hard. We are all neighbors."

Permalink

"In theory! But I have no idea how big the neighborhood is, and since we don't have to work and there isn't a church or a school or anything resembling a government it's all - haphazard." She sighs. "Anyway, no, you should not take the full wrath of the kitchen on by yourself."

Permalink

"But then how am I to redeem my honor?"

Permalink

Her mouth opens, but she pauses, like she thinks this is actually a convincing line of argumentation.

"You can help me figure out how to find or create a bookstore," she says, after a moment. "Maybe we can find some cookbooks along the way."

Permalink

"As you wish."

Permalink

"Cool. So that's my plan right now, what's yours?"

Permalink

"Figure out how to get you a bookstore!"

Permalink

"Oh. OK. Well. Our goals are conveniently aligned. I guess now we just have to find Michael?"

Permalink

"I guess so! Do you want to get started on that now, or do you want a little more time to get adjusted first? You did, ah, just die."

Permalink

"I suppose I did." On the other hand, the longer she has to go without books and something library-adjacent and at least the possibility of doing research, the worse off she's going to be and the more mistakes she's likely to make in handling this place. "I feel OK, though. I expect the not remembering helps with whatever trauma I'd be going around with otherwise. And I don't know that I have anything better to do, if there's nothing that you particularly need help with."

Permalink

"This is obviously important to you. I can't imagine what I'd have to do that could be more important than helping you with it."

Permalink

"I mean, you could also have something that was important to you, and I'd help with it. But if there's nothing pressing, then - hm, saying Michael's name hasn't resulted in him teleporting here, so I think we either have to find him or ask some of the shopkeepers how they opened their shops."

Permalink

"Which of those would you rather?"

Permalink

"Shops seems like an approach we're more likely to make immediate progress on. You hungry at all?"

Permalink

"I could eat!"

Permalink

"All right then!"

She heads into - what are their options again, does this place have anything in the way of pizza or hotdogs or maybe Chinese food?

Total: 363
Posts Per Page: