1. They didn't get what they wanted back from control training.
He's not exactly what anyone wants, really. Must be upsetting, to give up your hungry child and be returned an angry little teenager who pierces his own ears with sewing needles and steals straight razors to cut and starts fires in the backyard. Oh well.
(He opens cuts and practices closing them again.)
2. He doesn't want them to touch him. He doesn't want to talk to anyone. He doesn't want to pick a role yet. He never considers what they want.
(He cuts his hair and grows it out by the next morning.)
3. He grows his hair out, and starts using twice as many imperatives, and picks his clothing like he's never seen anyone dress themselves, and he can be as confused as he wants (he's still young enough) but he doesn't have to embarrass them like this...
(He burns up papers and matches and old clothes and not the house, no matter how much he wants to.)
4. He picks one. They get his paperwork done. They're so relieved.
(He cuts down his belly and thinks what he picked was close enough.)
5. They find him in his bedroom with a sub from down the street and they can't get him out of their house fast enough.
He counts himself lucky that school was far away enough for them.