Feb 03, 2023 8:07 AM
The Agile Centenarian has a bet to win, and needs a ship to sail on
+ Show First Post
Total: 119
Posts Per Page:
Permalink

The Acrobat throws a fond smirk back as she keeps strapping down the cart, then waves and rolls off.

Permalink

"Okay, this will be the last cart," the Figurehead says as she sets down another crate.

Permalink

Well, seems like she's halfway to making a friend there just by saying she'll try... That's cheerful but also sort of depressing by implication, but think that through later.

"Sounds good," she says to the Figurehead, and goes back for another crate herself.

Permalink

Skipper continues hauling as well, and before long they get the last boxes stacked on, two high for the first two rows, with the last two crates forming something almost like an improvised bench.

Permalink

The Acrobat dashes in just carrying the straps, grinning when she sees the way the crates are stacked, and starts strapping them down faster than before — with the other two joining in momentarily.

Permalink

"Should I just hang back and watch whatever you're planning?" She's pretty sure she can't help with the straps, at least.

Permalink

She ties down the last strap, at the back of the cart, then vaults forward, feet arcing high over her head, hand briefly braced atop a crate as a pivot, landing nimbly on her feet at the end of the cart and sitting down daintily. She turns and blows a kiss over her shoulder at the Skipper, then pats the crate next to her while looking expectantly at the Figurehead.

Permalink

"Yep," the Skipper says with a giggle and an adoring smile at her girls. "She loves to get a ride on the last cart at the end of the unloading."

Permalink

The Figurehead smiles with fond amusement and sits down next to her Acrobat, wrapping an arm around the smaller girl.

Permalink

"Awww. You three are very cute."

Permalink

"Thank you. These two can be like overgrown children sometimes, making up for things they missed, but what's the point of living out on the Zee if you're not going to find what fun you can? So we try to embrace the lighter side of things, where we can."

Permalink

"An excellent philosophy. Do you want another set of hands to push it? Could get some real speed going."

Permalink

The Acrobat sticks her hands up in a silent cheer!

Permalink

"Hell yes, let's go for it."

She scoots over to the side of the handle, making room for the Centenarian to join her in pushing.

Permalink

She grabs on. "Then let's go!"

Permalink

And off they run, Skipper laughing all the while, the Acrobat snuggling into the Figurehead with a big grin. The streets are just big enough, and a few turns clearly aren't meant to be taken at this speed, but that just makes it all the more thrilling. At one point a stuffy-looking man dives out of the way, landing in the gutter and shaking his fist at them as they go.

Before long, the loading entrance of the Sapphire Exchange looms ahead, and just as they reach the enormous door the Skipper spreads her wings wide, pulling back on the cart and air-braking with her whole wingspan.

Permalink

The Acrobat and the Figurehead hold onto the straps, keeping their seats through the sudden stop, grinning delightedly.

Permalink

"Maybe I should try acting like an overgrown child more often. Even this side was fun."

Permalink

"I'd certainly recommend it!"

Permalink

She folds her wings back up, nearly seven feet of feathers tucking tidily away behind this not quite six foot girl, and steps over to a grey-haired man with glasses. "Hello, Marshall."

Permalink

Three teenagers bound up and help unstrap the cart, stacking the crates over by a wall. Sapphires gleam everywhere in the warehouse, in sizes from sand all the way to one's fist. On another wall are crates of darkdrop coffee beans, the rich scent filling the room.

The older man — Marshall apparently — gives her a gruff smile and shakes his head. "Good to see you're still as... energetic as ever. The usual load of coffee, or are you taking sapphires as well today?"

Permalink

"Just coffee. Any interesting news I should know about?"

Permalink

"None fit to print, dear."

They fill out a bit of paperwork, and the Skipper gives him a tidy stack of echoes.

"I'll have the kids load your coffee and some extra fuel aboard the Handbasket, if you'll let 'em aboard."

Permalink

"I'll let them up and get our new acquaintance settled in, love. I know you two need to make the rounds before we head out."

Permalink

She's a little curious what 'the rounds' are, but it might not be something you talk about openly. Oh, and there was that thing she wanted to say somewhat privately, this is probably a good time. She'll just stick with the Figurehead and the kids.

"Sounds good to me."

Total: 119
Posts Per Page: