Aug 03, 2021 2:20 AM
High energy physics = Walta --> Adelene's custom species's world
+ Show First Post
Total: 132
Posts Per Page:
Permalink

Oh, good, now they're getting somewhere. Well, sort of. He doesn't know where he'd start on getting things from her home, but if she does, he's willing to help. Or to turn the problem over to someone who'd be better at solving it, more likely.

His species doesn't usually come in herds like that, but he could bring her to the community center or invite friends over if she wants to meet some? (He draws the glyph for 'meet' for her; it's not common enough to be in the primer.) In the longer term she should definitely get a network connector if she likes company, the network is great that way, but shining-pebbleclinker who does their network will have to design one that she can use without crafting and that will take a little while.

...if she meant she wants people from her home, well, that's mostly the same problem as getting anything else from there; he doesn't think there's a way to do network connections to places you haven't been. He can ask shining-pebbleclinker, though, if she thinks that might work - here's how they sign their messages, it'll do for a designation.

She'll be safe here at night; his guard animals are out with the rest of the household right now but everyone comes in for the evening and they're good at keeping watch. It's safest in the house if she's really worried about it.

Permalink

Hmm. No good way to get across 'nightmares, probably' at the moment, she thinks.

 

Meet community future time.

Crafting uncertainty?

Crafting negation(red figure with yellow circle, impeller field) uncertainty?

Network meet speak write far distance? Red figure knows negation(crafting) network.

Permalink

If she can't communicate he's pretty sure she can't craft; they're the same sorts of mental action, just applied slightly differently. She can try with the writing-board, if she wants, reshaping crafting-material is the easiest type of crafting, but he doesn't know how to begin to explain what to do if she doesn't already know, in the same way he has no idea how he'd explain how to walk, or how to tell which animals are friendly. Her impeller field seems to be a different thing; it might be crafting-like the same way that cutting up fruit is crafting-like but it won't work for interacting with a network connection like his, he's pretty sure.

The network lets them share writing over a distance! Connections like the one he has let them send pages to and get pages from a central repository, is the simple not-very-true explanation; the repository is actually a ridiculously complicated machine that shining-pebbleclinker made. He doesn't know how it works in much more detail but shining-pebbleclinker would be delighted to come over and tell her about it, they love getting to do that.

Permalink

She tries willing at the writing board a couple of different ways. Tries... Telepathy-ing at it? It doesn't seem to do anything.

 

But more importantly: Red figure know network. [Camera drone picture] like network uncertainty. Meet stick figure [gravel picture] yes good.

Permalink

He'll send shining-pebbleclinker a message, then; he doesn't know much about their schedule but he won't be surprised if they can come over tomorrow. Is he understanding correctly that the drone is a network machine of some sort?

Permalink

"Yep!"

She's pretty excited about it actually, if their magic lets them create some sort of - crude local Network - she's not a sensor type but she's absorbed enough computer science that it could totally make her rich or something. And getting excited over this distracts her from all the rest, so.

Jagged yellow line from dark cloud-

Then she erases it. 

Difficult write how make [drone]. [Pebbleclinker] want speak [drone] uncertainty. Blue-figure negation(want speak [drone]) uncertainty.

Red figure alone think okay.

Permalink

He's reasonably sure that noise was a yes, from her body language. (The hissing part of the one she explained to him before is the easiest part to remember, even if 'interspecies defensive warning sound' is a pretty weird choice for 'yes'.)

Shining-pebbleclinker will definitely want to hear about the drone. He's much less interested and also does need to get back to his chores if she's done with him; is there anything she needs before he goes?

Permalink

She shrugs at the language musing.

Bed?

Permalink

Sure; has she decided whether she wants to come into the house?

Permalink

"Yes. And yes."

She still has to de-integrate to rest and she can't access her Impeller Field or anything else like that, obviously, which is a bit worrying, but this guy seems honestly pretty trustworthy? Unless that's the telepathy making her think that, but boy is that a rabbit hole. Let's not go down it.

She wobbles off the trundlecart without using any Impeller Field, this time.

Permalink

He hovers worriedly and offers her the walking stick again, then leads the way in.

The house is cozy and somewhat cluttered, inside; there are a few workstations, one apparently for cooking, another for working with brush like the kind he was collecting on the trundlecart, the rest containing various collections of inscrutable objects in the waxy crafting-material, all well-lit by glowing panels overhead. The beds flank the door on either side, set into enclosures sculpted out of the wall with sliding doors and leather curtains to offer further privacy, with a reading nook on the far side of one and shelves of storage bins past the other. He directs her to the one on the shelving side, pausing to show her the touch controls for the lights, water dispenser, soundproofing (which only works properly with the doors closed), ventilation fan, and heating and cooling before stepping aside to let her in; he can also get her more pillows if the two already in there aren't sufficient.

Permalink

...Yep, that sure is a lot of magic, mixed with weirdly primitive stuff. Not sure what she was expecting but okay, imagine this is a hotel. Or like, a shipborne bunk.

She tries to express through the 'bot that she doesn't need anything but sleep at the moment, thank you.

She vanishes the drone with a faint shimmer in that weird folding-behind-into-nowhere effect. Manifests a thick heavy bracelet with a screen that she clamps over her right arm. She lies down in the guest bed, closes the doors, turns on the soundproofing, breathes deeply and tries to fight the rising anxiety, and with some trepidation-

Permalink

-De-integrates her Valkyrie Core, leaving the shining ball of circuitry resting on her sternum, and is stunned for a solid twenty seconds by the feedback of being entirely biology again and all the lingering damage, head swimming in pain. Then the medcuff sedates her and she falls dead asleep. Probably for a fair bit longer than just eight hours, depending on if anything interrupts.

Permalink

The soundproofing is quite good, and she won't be disturbed at all unless she's still sequestering herself at lunchtime of the next day.

Permalink

She is woken up by a blearing noise specifically designed to be horribly attention-getting, plus a brief cutoff of her painkillers, about an hour before that.

She debates with herself whether to put the VK back in or not. Normally she'd want coffee and a shower first. She doesn't think she can get either here, without building it herself or using up a bit of her preciously limited Emergency Supply of the powdered synthetic stuff.

She can tell the medcuff to give her a bit of caffeine, despite its objections, however. Though it does insist that she needs WATER and PROTEIN and A HOSPITAL.

No VK for now. She sits up and opens the guest bed door and peeks out, armor all gone and just wearing a slightly grimy grey flight suit, rather than any armor, holding the glimmery golden Core in one hand.

Permalink

Her host doesn't seem to be home, but there's a small table set up just outside her bed with water, a few kinds of fruit and vegetables, and a few hard-boiled eggs.

There's also a crow perched on the back of one of the chairs; it regards her levelly, croaks, and flies outside.

Permalink

Slightly creepy but okay.

She noms it all and then gets more water and drinks that, and then tries to figure out the - bathroom situation. If she has to she can Impeller up a hole outside somewhere, but ech.

Permalink

There's an obvious-enough half bathroom on one end of the house, a few steps from the kitchen with its sink; it seems to work on latrine principles, but there's no smell.

Permalink

Well, fair enough. She could use a shower but this is fine.

She's not going to go pawing around for more food without asking but she's still pretty hungry. She briefly looks over the - crafting station? Magic workshop? - without touching anything. Then decides she's still really tired and lays back down on the bed. Ugh. Whatever her Wave Force mishap did to her messed her the hell up.

Permalink

Her host turns up after about ten or fifteen more minutes, announcing himself with a soft toungue-clicking noise as he comes in.

How's she doing? He sees she's eaten what he left for her; is she still hungry?

Permalink

"Yes, please."

Okay, she kind of needs the drone for this. She holds out one finger. Takes the fancy-looking golden thing she's still holding and presses it into herself with a wince and a hiss of breath.

She's suddenly much more perky, alert, energetic, twitchy even. She frames a wide space in her lap and appears the drone there, for further discussion.

Big injury negation(visible). Need large-amount food. Need some meat or - pictures, amaranth, edamame, quinoa - Food same-category meat.

Permalink

He figured she'd need meat; he explains as he goes to cook it that he only didn't leave it out for her since it goes bad so quickly. He doesn't recognize those other plants but he has some beans and he can ask the doctor what other foods are like meat and beans, if she needs more than he has. Are eggs also good? He'd understood eggs to be good for injuries the same way meat is. Also, is she feeling nauseous at all, should he be making this bland or spicing it normally?

Soon he's got a plate of what look like miniature chicken breasts for her, seasoned with fruit juice and herbs if she's reported being up for that.

Permalink

Beans are good. Eggs are good health but taste no.

(Weird how they have chickens)

She is not nauseous. Spices uncertainty.

How make this meat small?

Permalink

Uncertainty about the spices gets her unseasoned meat with a little bowl of spice mix on the side for sprinkling; the spices are herby, not hot.

Those are dove meat, that's their normal size - was she expecting chicken? Chickens aren't very good meat animals, they're much better for eggs. He has cavies, too, if she doesn't like dove, or he can trade for something else, he should be able to get cow or goat or deer pretty easily.

Permalink

She was expecting chicken, yes. Chickens are the only bird meat she knows, or [turkey]. 

(Good thing she has a scrape of Wikipedia. But... Cavies?)

She's used to eating meat crafted from plants and chemicals, actually. No cavy meat please. Cow or deer would be fine but don't go out of your way, she tries to explain.

She eats the dove! meat with the herby spices regardless, though. No sense wasting it.

Total: 132
Posts Per Page: