This post has the following content warnings:
Jun 23, 2021 8:08 PM
Julie has a medical emergency. And several other emergencies.
+ Show First Post
Total: 1962
Posts Per Page:
Permalink

"Jesus fuck what -"

Permalink

:I did not ask it to do that but I also did not tell it to please avoid Gating into any ships and I clearly ought have: Leareth is slightly hyperventilating. He forces his breathing to slow. :Did you recognize that ship. I...have an inkling... I think that the rest of the Proto might be there: 

Permalink

She stares at her instruments. "That's a... gas hauler with Baratnas Gas - it's hailing us -" 

Permalink

 

 

"ID yourself and what the fuck was that."

Permalink

She suddenly cannot think of even a mildly convincing lie. "We're as confused as you are. Our instruments were showing empty space right up until we practically ran into you. It's a crappy old panel, I'd attribute it to that except - did you not see us either?"

Permalink

"Anubis 1A, en route to Ceres."

Permalink

Dead silence from the other end of the line.

Permalink

:...They could transmit a warning to the authorities. Right. If they wanted to, and - guess what is happening here -?: 

Leareth wants more time to think, not an instant emergency, but. 

:Nayoki. Did you see enough of the interior to Gate to the other ship: 

Permalink

She knows exactly what Leareth is planning and she doesn't like it. :Yes. I think so: 

Permalink

Adrenaline gives Leareth a trickle more alertness. :Please Gate to the other ship. Immediately set-command anyone within your range to stop doing thi– to stop anything that is not essential to the continuing function of the ship - and then come back. I want a mage-Thoughtsenser and a Healer to cross, they will check for other crew outside your radius, and look for any signs of the Proto there. Do it now. Fast: 

Permalink

Nayoki doesn't like this at ALL, but when Leareth gives orders in that tone, you don't hesitate. 

She lifts her hand and raises a freestanding Gate and shoves her head across; she has quite a lot of range, for a Mindhealer, she can hit anyone within a hundred yards, or fifty yards if there are metal walls in the way. And her Thoughtsensing is extended, and should be able to cover the entire ship and warn her if anyone is outside her range. 

In about half a second she's sticking her head through. 

:STOP:

:- continue ONLY activities essential to ship function: 

Permalink

"Power down and prepare to be -" he is in the middle of saying to the Anubis 1A, and then he stops talking.

Permalink

"- what did you do - those are Belters -"

Permalink

:They will not be injured, just - temporarily stopped from doing things - sorry but I am not leaving anything to chance here -: 

He does pause briefly, though. 

:...Julie, if they are Belters, I - suspect I will want you to explain. After we check things: 

Permalink

Baratnas is a Belter gas company.

 

 

Though they were absolutely about to tell Julie's ship to hold still and be boarded, which - doesn't make any sense -

Permalink

It's been scarcely ten seconds since the Gate went up.

The Healer is through and looking for any hint of Proto life-force to Healing Sight, two mages are through and shielding Nayoki and the still-open Gate, and Nayoki is finishing her Thoughtsensing check of who she just got with her set-commands and whether there are any minds that are in her Thoughtsensing but not Mindhealing range. 

And ruthlessly reading their surface thoughts while she's at it, if they're not shielded which she's guessing they won't be since they don't even have Mindspeech here. 

Permalink

There is Proto in a sealed metal compartment in the middle of this storage bay! 

 

 

There are four minds on this ship; she got the nearest two of them. The other two are racing towards the bridge not because they know their ship is being invaded but because they were alerted urgently fifteen seconds ago that the other ship is claiming to be the Anubis 1A.

Permalink

And it did something in the room with the protomolecule, though they weren't able to figure out how and now figuring out whether the protomolecule is still there will have to wait -

Permalink

Probably they should just fire on the other ship now and ask questions of the debris afterwards.

Permalink

Damn it where is that person - she's not a Farseer - Nayoki snaps out some mental orders to the mage who is a Farseer. 

Permalink

- and who is feeling VERY in over his head, but he's one of Leareth's elite mages for a reason. He can get Farsight coverage on the mind-location Nayoki is showing him within about a second, and he can't do unscaffolded Gates but he's practiced Gating on anythign even vaguely reminiscent of a doorway and he can whip his mental 'eyes' around and find something that works and then Gate, another two seconds, and then he'll be in range to throw some compulsions at this person -

Permalink

Who is climbing a ladder down to the bridge, and now falls.

 


What the fuck.

Permalink

Indeed, what the fuck!

Permalink

- gas? She holds her breath and heads over to the control systems to try to see if there's anything on the cameras - wow, there sure is something on the cameras - 

- can she vent that section of the ship before they get to her

Total: 1962
Posts Per Page: