This post has the following content warnings:
Jan 19, 2021 6:30 PM
A changeling in Manere
Permalink

She's swimming in deep water, somewhere out of the way and a bit isolated, far away from everyone, simply to get away from it all and enjoy the freedom of it for a while. She's singing underwater. The way her voice changes below the water as opposed to above is beautiful. It took forever to get right. Then she feels her connection to the world, always lurking in the back of her head - snap.

Well, that's a little concerning, but it's something she can worry about later. She's hardly in any danger. She's relaxing right now. She keeps swimming around in the cold depths for a while longer.

When she surfaces and swims inland to figure out where she is, she... Doesn't recognize the beach she shows up at. Or the town beyond it. She beaches herself, a little annoyed by what a terrible beach this is, then starts singing again as she waits to change back to having legs again. It'll take a few minutes- Though she'll keep the shiny blue scales and lithe form for now, she's going for a sort of midform.

So she sings on the annoyingly sharp rocks of the beach, high and clear, crooning wordlessly up and down scales.

Total: 116
Posts Per Page:
Permalink

They're heading down to one of the small rocky beaches, usually unpeopled and almost always empty in this weather. He has his schoolbag with him - maybe the sight of the ocean will help him some with composition, today. (It won't. He should stop pretending it will.)

Permalink

He's playing absently with an illusion - the main reason they're going where they are right now, and they can't see the ocean yet but he's had a few ideas on the bus.

He hears the singing as they get closer. ...Well that's pretty. And not the kind of singing he'd usually hear somewhere or other. That probably means the beach is not unpeopled (he's not sure why he just thought 'probably', what, does he think someone left a tape player?) but they've come this far and he wants to see the singer (and actually hmm the music seems sea-themed itself, that's giving him an idea... The illusion moves, some.)

They come into sight of the beach.

Permalink

The singer is sitting on the rocks, with a distinctly feminine figure, dark hair in a simple braid that's somehow smooth and nice-looking despite being soaked, small scales like a fish's artfully arranged in gradients of blue up her arms and neck and the side of her face and- A large flat fish's tail with a single lower body as opposed to two legs. In terms of clothes, she has a slightly loose dress-like swimsuit, with multiple layers slightly offset from each other in shades of green, and ruffles. It's all asymmetrical, all curvy and complicated, with small colorful beads embedded in lines on a couple of the ruffles.

She keeps singing, staring at the sky a little bit puzzled.

Permalink

Oh good, he'd be more worried about disturbing a dom (especially a fancily Gifted dom), even if this is a public place and random doms don't actually get to tell them they can't be here.

He waves but doesn't interrupt. He admires the clothing. Also pretty and sea-themed: he scales. Hmmm. He plays with the illusion again.

Permalink

She doesn't notice the wave; She's looking up, at the sky, out over the sea.

...Her lower body is changing. It's subtle, but the fin is receding, there is a depression that makes the tail look more like two legs in a tightly-wrapped outfit.

Permalink

...Really fancily Gifted, wow. He looks to see if there's anything in the direction she's looking.

Permalink

She's staring at where the Milky Way would be on Earth at this approximate latitude, barring light pollution.

She stops singing with a small sigh, turns her head- Blinks at the two visitors, then smiles softly and stares at the neat-looking illusion.

Permalink

To him that will look like a 'no, just looking at the sky'. 

He waves again when she turns, smiles back. "Hey. That's gorgeous. You singer-studying?" He notices her looking at the illusion and has it do an ocean-themed-illusion version of a wave.

Permalink

He also smiles back a little. "Hello."

Permalink

"Hello."

And then in an unfamiliar language, "I'm afraid I don't understand you, and that is really quite surprising."

Permalink

Well, he doesn't know that language. Or recognize it. Which isn't weird, there's a lot of languages. Is she a tourist or otherwise then? He wonders where her dom is, in that case. Or maybe recently moved, that's possible.

He shrugs and shakes his head. "Don't know that one, sorry.

"You guys visiting?" 

Permalink

A shrug in return. "You? Visiting?"

Then she frowns, and suddenly looks at her fin. She hums two bars, sounding a bit strained, and then - with a slight fleshy tearing sound, she has two legs with sheets of scales attached and malformed feet, instead of a fin, and she's breathing a bit hard. She stretches the newly separated limbs a bit, then gingerly folds them up to sit cross-legged.

Permalink

It's probably rude to stare, even though that is really cool. 

Weird thing to shrug about but maybe it's complicated or something. "No, we live around here." He also sits down - not on the beach, it's a bit chilly for that, but there's a driftwood log he spots nearby.

Permalink

He looks worried for a second, but she doesn't so that's probably just how her Gift works. He sits down too.

Permalink

She is supremely unbothered by the cold and annoying sharp rocks, herself.

"Mmmh. Don't know... Here? Don't know you-" she attempts a gesture to indicate the illusion. "It's cool! Eh- That's gorgeous!"

Permalink

Oh, language. He looks around to see if her dom's nearby somewhere - probably she's not out here alone if she'd have to worry about not understanding or being able to talk to police or something. ...Though he'd totally do that (if Alessa didn't stop him), so. He doesn't see anyone, but there's a lot of places out of sight here.  

"Thank you! I'm trying something ocean-inspired. For dance accompaniment." ...That was way too complicated words, great job not thinking, himself. "I'm trying something like the ocean," he points over. "For dance." He mimes dancing a bit. He's not actually sure how much of the language she does have, and possibly that also made no sense to her.

Permalink

She seems to get the idea, singing a bar and moving her arms and nodding happily.

...She's not too sure what to say next. Not knowing the local language is hard! And her spirit guide can't talk to anything right now, only hear strange voices humming through the air. Voices in this new language.

She tells her spirit guide to listen to them all and frowns thoughtfully at something invisible in the middle distance.

Sheee's probably really really lost. This isn't as freakout-inducing at it maybe should be, since she's still a mermaid, mentally, for the moment.

Permalink

"You ok?" Depending on the problem might be hard to answer with limited language, but.

Permalink

"Mmmmh. No. Please wait... Please... Talk?"

Permalink

...Well no is a clear enough answer to that question in one way. ...And oh, is this the thing where you language learned some time ago and now you ubderstand more words than you can come up with?

He looks at Alessa, who will probably be better at this.

"We're not in a hurry anywhere."

Permalink

"Are you lost?" It's probably a good first guess. Or - "...Is it something with your dom?" No knowing what they can do if the answer to that is yes, but.

Permalink

"Lost. I'm..." She waves at the ocean. "Very lost. I was... In that for a long time."

Permalink

...Shit. Well that is not a problem he feels like he has any idea how to deal with. He looks at Alessa again - she doesn't look like she's freezing from having been in the water for a while at this weather - maybe it's a Gift thing, come to think he'd be cold in this weather if he dressed like that even without jumping in the water.

Also doesn't look like she almost drowned and needs to get water out of her lungs. ...Well, doesn't look like people do in movies, what does he know about what that looks like in real life.

Permalink

"Gods, I'm sorry. Do you need medical attention? Er - are you hurt?" He looks like he's ready to stand up - he thinks an emergency would look different and he doesn't know if it's anything he could help with, but if it is -. (It wouldn't really be a problem if he collapsed right here from pushing his Gift. ...Though that would leave Kente alone with both of them...)

Permalink

Headshake and small smile. "I'm fine. Just... Lost. I'm not... Worried. Want to sing? And-" she makes the same hand motion to indicate the illusions again.

Total: 116
Posts Per Page: