This post has the following content warnings:
Nov 25, 2020 6:39 AM
teenage mage-gifted jisa ends up in cosel
+ Show First Post
Total: 493
Posts Per Page:
Permalink

He's wearing it too snug to pull over his head and the chain looks pretty sturdy. It is definitely magic. It's actually surprisingly simple, magically, it's pretty obvious how you'd do this if you wanted to make a new amulet to catch an elemental with.

Permalink

Huh. Jisa doesn't currently want to enslave any elementals, actually, the entire philosophy at the White Winds mage-school is that they only work with the spirits voluntarily. She studies it anyway, though, until she's pretty sure she could copy it if she wanted. 

Maybe this will also show her how it could be broken with magic? 

Permalink

Looks like she'd have to be touching it.

Permalink

Hmm. 

Weeeeell, okay, she doesn't want to leave the poor elemental trapped. Can she very slowly and carefully sneak closer without him noticing her? She's ready to run away the instant she sees a reaction in his mind. 

Permalink

He's not looking for invisible mages. (Glass looks right at her, but doesn't tell him.)

Permalink

Then eventually she's pretty close. 

:I am going to try to break it and I need you to run away very fast: she tells Glass, in careful directional Mindspeech even though the villagers seemed oblivious to her Gifts before. She, too, is ready to run away very fast. 

She stares at the amulet a bit more, and then her illusion-concealed hand darts out and touches it and she tries to snap the spell in a single motion before sprinting away. 

Permalink

:I can be fast. Watch out: warns Glass.

This turns out to be because there is an explosion of shards in all directions, when the amulet breaks, and the owner is speared through the neck and all down his back and the kid on his lap has one in the eye and passersby are grazed or impaled and the potluck is full of glass and everyone's screaming -

- the Glass is flying away, some people are pointing and yelling -

Permalink

Aaaaaaaaah that is not what she wanted to happen at all! Unfortunately Jisa isn't a Healer and she has no idea what to do! She could pull the glass out of the kid's eye with magic but that might make it even worse!!!

She still has her physical shields up and the glass doesn't hurt her and she manages not to scream and to complete her planned sprint back. 

:I wish you'd told me that would happen!: she sends to Glass, wherever Glass is. :I'd have shielded the tiny kid!: Probably she should have shielded the man too but she feels a lot less sympathetic toward him, given that he was keeping the elemental captive. 

Permalink

:You made it sound like you were going to steal it, not break it, I didn't have time!:

Permalink

:But I told you–: Jisa stops, thinks. :I wasn't sure until I was closer if I could get it without breaking it. It's not like I even wanted it, though. I'm sorry I didn't give you more warning: 

Does it look like the man and the kid are getting medical attention from the other humans, or is everyone too panicked? Jisa isn't sure what to do in the latter case but she can't just run away, this is her fault for being careless and stupid. 

Permalink

The man's dead. They seem to be trying to coach an eight year old through healing the eye injury but the eight year old is pretty freaked out.

Permalink

Aaaaaaaaaah she feels really terrible about this actually! The man was keeping a sentient creature enslaved, which is horrible, but she didn't mean to kill him! 

...Maybe if she very very gently starts pushing with her Empathy, to calm down the eight-year-old who's trying to do healing, that will help and also no one will notice? 

Permalink

No one notices. The eight year old takes some deep breaths and stops the bleeding.

Permalink

Jisa calms down some of the others too, and then tiptoes back out of the village and finds a spot nearby to cry. 

:I'm not going to take you prisoner: she tells Glass. :In case you thought I was going to. You can just go if you want. Although if you're willing to stay and help me, I want to find a bigger city so I can get maps and figure out where I am: 

Permalink

:I'm not going anywhere near a city! You want north for the one they hit on market day:

Permalink

:All right. Thank you. Er, why don't you want to go near a city?: 

Permalink

:- you saw! They're slavers! I wouldn't last a minute!:

Permalink

:- Wait, does literally everyone in this country enslave elementals? Gah. That's horrible. I thought it was just him but I guess that was stupid of me: 

Permalink

:Not everyone's a mage but more and more are and a city will have loads: She's getting farther and farther away, it's more of a strain to reach her.

Permalink

:All right - er, good luck, I guess, I hope no one else catches you...: 

And she's going to sit here and cry about how she's an idiot and feel very sorry for herself for a while, although she has enough sense to shield herself and put up wards first. 

Permalink

Nobody bothers her. The festival is canceled, the glassy food thrown away, unsafe even for pigs. Crying people go back to their homes.

Permalink

Jisa spends the night curled up burrowed under a hedge, feeling incredibly miserable and also ravenously hungry but utterly unwilling to steal any food from the village where she just accidentally murdered someone, slaver or not. She does not sleep very well, only partly because of misery; she's also very jumpy at the prospect of wild elementals who want to murder her showing up, and every small sound wakes her. 

 

Permalink

No elementals approach the village to bother her.

Permalink

In the morning she's not very well rested, but her reserves are somewhat replenished despite not having enough food or sleep, being near ley-lines helps. 

...Maybe she should just go home? 

She tries to do the same Gate but in reverse. 

It doesn't work. 

She sits down and sobs against the hedge for another five minutes, and then shakes herself. Come on. Stop being a baby about it. 

Another few minutes later, Jisa is on her feet, walking north and scrying ahead of her. She also keeps an eye out for any kind of plant she recognizes as edible. 

Permalink

Well, there's a lot of farmland she could steal carrots or barley or sesame seeds from.

Total: 493
Posts Per Page: