This post has the following content warnings:
Nov 25, 2020 6:31 AM
teenage mage-gifted jisa ends up in cosel
+ Show First Post
Total: 493
Posts Per Page:
Permalink

:A mage. And I have Mindspeech too. Have you not met mages or Mindspeakers? What are you?: 

Permalink

The woman turns around and follows the man back to the window they were working on. :He's a mage but I don't know what a Mindspeaker is. I'm a Glass:

Permalink

:Oh. I don't know what that is either, maybe we don't have Glass where I live. Do you know the name of the country we're in right now?: 

Permalink

:Rixo:

Permalink

:Oh, I haven't heard of it: She must have been right about the range increase, and ended up further from home than she's ever been before. Which is neat and she feels smug about it, and also pretty nerve-wracking. :Um, are you all right? You seemed scared that he might hurt you, or something: 

Permalink

:He can make me do this: (she's working on the windows again) :but he can't make me talk so he has to threaten about that if he wants something translated:

Permalink

:Oh: A sinking feeling. :How does he make you do things - is he using compulsions?: She's suddenly pretty angry! :If it's that then I could free you, if you wanted: 

Permalink

:I don't know what that is. It's the amulet he's wearing:

Permalink

:Oh. Um, I'll look at it with my Othersenses: She turns back to the woman for a moment, shaking her head and making an apologetic face, and then tries to go on Mindspeaking with the Glass without making it obvious she's carrying on a silent conversation. :What kinds of things can he do? I know there are different schools of magic in other parts of the world: 

Permalink

:Do you mean what elements he has?:

Permalink

:Um, sure? We don't usually talk about mages that way in Valdemar, so I might not know what that means: 

Permalink

:He has Fire and Wood and Stone:

Permalink

:Mmm. Does that mean he can cast fireballs or, I don't know, make wood and stone statues with magic? Or something else?: 

Permalink

:It means he can do some magic of those elements - I don't know that much about it, I'm a Glass, not a Fire or a Wood or a Stone:

Permalink

:Are there other mages who have Glass? What sorts of things can they do?: 

Permalink

:Most of the things I can do, just - smaller because they're humans and not elementals:

Permalink

:What kinds of things can you do? Make glass out of sand, I can see, what other things?: 

Permalink

:I can see better than you too:

Permalink

:Huh: Jisa isn't sure how that's related to glass but maybe that's not the most important question right now. :Um, anyway, do you - want me to get you out of here? I would rather know more about what he can do as a mage, and I should pretend to leave first and come back under an illusion or something, but I'm pretty powerful and I can probably rescue you if you need rescuing: 

Permalink

:It's the amulet, I can't do anything he doesn't want me to while he has the amulet:

Permalink

:So if I can steal the amulet then you could just get away?: 

Are the man or woman paying attention to her or looking suspicious right now? Jisa has been wandering around a bit, pretending to look absently into the distance and occasionally stopping to glance at features of the town. 

Permalink

:You could steal me: Glass confirms bleakly.

The kids have lost track of their cat and are stalking her through the streets.

Permalink

Jisa makes an apologetic face at the woman she tried to approach, and waves, and then trudges back the way she came looking disappointed. 

She keeps her Othersenses fully open, using Thoughtsensing and Empathy enough to notice any suspicion or intent to follow her, though she avoids doing more thorough mindreading than that.

Once she's sure that she's out of sight, she covers herself with an illusion - it's hard to do well while moving but she's had a lot of practice by now - and starts creeping back into the village. Again, she holds her mind-Gifts open, listening passively to pick up any sign that they've noticed her return. 

Permalink

There is some sort of festival being set up as more people troop in from the farms. People are changing into fancier clothes and assembling a potluck in the village square. The Glass is still with her owner, standing silently by while he bounces a little boy on his knee.

Permalink

Jisa gets in as close as she dares, and stares at him, trying to pick out the amulet either with her eyes or mage-sight. 

Total: 493
Posts Per Page: