Oct 28, 2020 3:19 PM
promise and leareth
Permalink

She appears above a bit of frozen wasteland. She falls, conscious but without making a peep, to the ground, and breaks a few more bones.

She lies there.

Total: 1062
Posts Per Page:
Permalink

Somewhere else a magical alarm triggers and a man scrambles up. 

:Get Farsight on it: he snaps to someone not in the room. :Check the wards - what was that...: 

Permalink

A Farseer checks the ward location with the mage currently diving into the spell to see what, if any, magic just happened. (Sometimes there are false alarms for no reason.) 

They move their Farsight to the general location where Leareth's very comprehensive wards on the northern tundra think that something, they don't know what, just happened. 

Permalink

A short woman wearing a dress made of leaves with assorted injuries and a pair of wings that also look like leaves is lying there on the permafrost, starting to go a little blue with cold, blinking and breathing but otherwise still.

Permalink

This is passed on. 

Permalink

:Get Aldrin: Leareth orders. Aldrin is a mage-Farseer who can Gate from Farsight but he's not at this facility. :Send a Healer through too, bring her - basement, I think: 

He could Gate himself and be there in seconds but he doesn't know who she is or how she got there - that wasn't a Gate, whatever it was - and she doesn't look entirely human and he's confused. Leareth doesn't like being confused. The basement is extremely well shielded, though, and also Nayoki is here. 

Permalink

Aldrin is alerted by communication-spell and then Gated over from the other compound, that takes a couple of minutes, and then he Farsees the location himself, goes down to the basement and raises a Gate. 

The other end appears on thin air several yards away from the woman. Some people in warm-weather clothing pile through, one of them carrying blankets. 

Othersenses are immediately on alert. Is she a mage? Carrying any magic weapons? 

Permalink

She is not a mage and is not carrying anything besides the dress she's wearing. She looks at them but doesn't say anything.

Permalink

When she doesn't seem about to attack them, two of the Healers approach, cautiously. They get a blanket over her and check her over with Healing-Sight to gauge her injuries and whether she can be moved safely. 

Permalink

She is EMPHATICALLY NOT A HUMAN. She's breathing through the wings as well as her nose, for one thing, and arguably is overall more plant than animal, though she has bones and blood where you'd expect those. She doesn't have a neck injury and doesn't seem to be getting worse and when they pick her up she weighs thirty pounds.

Permalink

Some silent communications-spell questions and answers are exchanged while Aldrin holds the Gate. Then some Mindspeech. 

One of the Healers is a strong Thoughtsenser, and very cautiously opens and tries to get a passive read on the woman's thoughts. 

Permalink

She is thinking:

She has no idea how these mortals got here. The blanket is kind of uncomfortable on her wings. Do they know what fairies are? Ugh why do people keep TOUCHING her stop TOUCHING her.

Permalink

Huh.

"Can you understand me?" one of the Healers asks, rotating through a couple of different languages. 

Permalink

Yeah she's not deaf but she can't reply, sorry random mortal. Why are you repeating yourself. Why are you repeating yourself AGAIN.

Permalink

Mindspeech is exchanged. This is so weird. She can understand them even though she demonstrably isn't from here? She can't answer though? 

The mage checks with mage-sight whether she's under compulsions preventing speech. 

Permalink

No compulsions are in evidence.

Permalink

<Leareth, can we bring her over or not. I don't want to hold this Gate all goddamned day> 

Permalink

Sigh. <You can bring her over. I am staying upstairs until we understand the situation better, though> 

Permalink

Since apparently she understands all the languages they just used, one of the Healers tells her in Valdemaran that they're taking her across a Gate to somewhere indoors and less cold, and will treat her injuries there. 

Permalink

Yeah, okay, she supposes that's probably better than just lying here until she's covered in a layer of ice for a few thousand years.

Permalink

They take her through and it's much warmer inside. They lay her down on a padded cot. The blanket can come off so they can get a better look at her injuries (and because she apparently doesn't like it, though they don't say that out loud.)

"I am going to do some Healing," one of the Healers said. "I need to touch you for it, though. Can you - if you can communicate by blinking, can you blink twice now?" 

Permalink

She thinks she can probably do that right now. Blink blink. Yeah there it goes.

Permalink

All right. Yes-or-no questions, seems to work.

"Um, two blinks for yes and three blinks for no and I'll try to ask you some questions," the Healer says. (One blink seems too easy to get confused about.) Unfortunately most of their questions are not yes-or-no questions. "Is it okay if I touch you in order to Heal the broken bones?" 

Permalink

She has to consider that a while. If this mortal is bad enough at healing to need to touch targets she probably has to get her hands all over them and squeeze and poke and prod, which sounds SO UNPLEASANT, but still probably couldn't possibly take more than an hour on the outside if they can get a spell off at all? And letting the bones heal by themselves will sure be weeks. On the other hand they're showing no sign of knowing how to let her move around so fixing the bones won't actually be all that helpful and getting felt up by an incompetent sorcerer sounds so miserable. She blinks three times.

Permalink

Okay then. The Healer sits back.

The woman...seems pretty harmless and disinclined to hurt them so far? And not to be here to assassinate Leareth specifically? On the other hand she is obviously not human at ALL and what is she doing here and if she's not under compulsions why can't she move. Also it's very possible for someone not to be here to assassinate Leareth specifically and still to be part of some Power's scheme to do so. 

"Are you a nonhuman species?" the Healer asks. 

Permalink

...she has wings. What are you, blind. Blink blink.

Total: 1062
Posts Per Page: