This post has the following content warnings:
Nov 17, 2019 5:30 PM
Deskyl and DZ in Arcania Artefactum
+ Show First Post
Total: 556
Posts Per Page:
Permalink

He smiles, "Nothing that couldn't have waited," he says, "But - well, first, are the accomodations satisfactory? Aside from the surprise wake up." 

Permalink

"Yes sir. Deskyl will want somewhere to practice her swordwork when she's more recovered, but it's not urgent."

Permalink

He nods, "There are training fields," he says, gestring towards the opposite end of the fort from the gates. 

"With the attack, it's likely we'll be delayed in leaving for Fort Helen. Has the abrupt wake-up and battle caused any extra damage? I am entirely willing to tailor my travel plans around how long she should be resting, given they have already changed." 

Permalink

"I expect it has, sir, but it's hard to know, and I don't know how long it will take her to recover even in the best case - a few weeks, at least."

Permalink

He hums, "I expect they can get along without me that long. Helen's farther in than most - the enemy would have to pass quite a few fortifications to reach it." 

"Most of the topics I wish to discuss - questions about her abilities, her preferred combat style - might be better discussed with your companion in person, once she recovers. In the meantime..." He hums, "If you are at loose ends, I would welcome a summary of your skills, and preferred work. If not, well, you are welcome to wander the fort, though I would reccomend remaining more than twenty meters in from the walls, for your safety, if they should rush us. My people are a fair bit too busy to assign you a guide at the moment, but we should reach a lull within a few hours - I myself would not mind offering a tour then." 

Permalink

"Yes sir. My kind of robot is meant to serve individual Sith, and Deskyl will expect me to be in the room when she wakes, but if you have any work that doesn't need any particular skill and that won't interfere with that, I can do it - robots are better than humans at detail work and things that need extended focus, especially math, and at remembering details of things we experience."

Permalink

Serve, hm? That's concerning, but Deskyl at least seems to trear her companion as a person of her own, so perhaps this is not a worse parallel of the automaton situation. 

"I expect the clerks would appreciate your assistance, in that case - this would keep you close to Apprentice Deskyl's rooms, as well." 

Permalink

"Yes sir."

Permalink

"I'm afraid I must be off," he adds, offering a short bow, "The commander knows you - simply speak with her and she will introduce you to the head clerk." He turns to go, then pauses, turning back, "If you need anything at all, DZ-Twelve-Q, don't hesitate to ask. You and Deskyl have saved us a great deal of grief, and I am very grateful." 

Permalink

"Yes sir. I'll let master Deskyl know."

She goes to talk to the commander.

Permalink

He gains a complicated expression again, at the word 'master', but continues on his way. Something to bring up later.

The clerks are more than pleased to accept her help. The military runs on paperwork. In the current situation one might say it is sprinting, and the paperwork must keep pace.

Permalink

She is, as it turns out, every bit as good at filling out forms and doing math as her master is at fighting, though she does insist on doing the work in Deskyl's room.

Permalink

That's fine with them, they can collect any she finishes with from a tray outside the door. 

 

Permalink

Jaim knocks gently a bit after dinner time, offering to give her that tour.

Permalink

She hesitates very noticeably when he asks. "I'd rather finish the paperwork, if that's all right, sir."

Permalink

He nods, "Of course. Just knock on my door if you change your mind - my room is just down the hall, there," he motions to it, stepping back. 

"Have a good evening," he bids her. 

Permalink

"Good evening, sir."

Permalink

Deskyl sleeps through the rest of the day and night, and wakes up only slightly late the next morning. DZ brings her up to speed on everything while she eats, and then she meditates to make contact with the Blade again. Hello?

Permalink

Hello, he sends in return. I have felt much agitation within my range while you slept. Is everything well? 

She did mention that she would have no memory of their last conversation when she woke, so perhaps he should have started some other way, but his concern prompts him to ask. 

Permalink

We were attacked yesterday. It would have been very bad if I hadn't been here, apparently - they had a wardbreaker.

Permalink

Dangerous items, those, he agrees. All is well, then? 

He pauses, I take it your companion filled you in on what we discussed the last time we spoke? 

Permalink

Most of it. I don't think either of us has a good understanding of what Artefacts are.

Permalink

Perhaps I could explain our creation, he offers, Most would not - the method has been forgotten, and most of us do not want it remembered. But you have no mana, so you could not do it, and it must be done willingly.

Permalink

It's not very safe to assume that I can't learn to do things, she sends, amused.

Permalink

He hums, his form glowing lightly, Perhaps not. Still, I do not think you would do it for any but the most dire reasons - indeed most would not. I would ask you not to tell others, if I am to tell you, unless in, again, most dire circumstances.

Total: 556
Posts Per Page: