This post has the following content warnings:
Nov 22, 2019 4:40 AM
inanna's ring!sasuke wakes up in narutoverse
+ Show First Post
Total: 2867
Posts Per Page:
Permalink

That could be turned to their advantage, if they split up. One group to draw attention, one group to see whose attention is drawn.

Permalink

He pauses, then shakes his head. "We'd be going into any fights with half our forces, and there's no guarantee the watching team wouldn't be spotted as well."

Permalink

"We should check the perimeter first, then," Neji says, "and work our way inward."

Permalink

"Given the size of the area we're covering that's less likely to be effective - and I think more likely to get us caught." He pauses, thinking. "None of my techniques are especially well-suited for this yet... We don't need to get particularly close to anything, though, to identify if it's a likely meeting place for smugglers or similar, especially with your eyes, and I have several techniques that'll help protect us from more mundane long-ranged attacks. Initially... We should work along, but not quite adjacent to, one of the routes likely to be taken by ships passing through. Prioritize not being seen over getting information; we're not on a strict deadline, here."

Permalink

"By ship or on foot?"

Permalink

"On foot's faster, quieter, and more flexible - but walking on water's going to be tiring for most of us. A small craft, as far as we can."

Permalink

"I did not pack one of those."

Permalink

"I didn't, either. We'll rest often, try to reduce the amount of time we're over water, and keep our eyes open for one we can salvage - or possibly steal."

Permalink

"Understood."

Permalink

And after some protective spells - maintaining Protection from Arrows and Mage Armor on them's not much worse with four than three, and he managed well enough in the Forest of Death - they can set off.

Permalink

They don't see much that day. They pass by a few atolls, and towards the evening, see a ship far out on the horizon, further into the ocean.

Permalink

Where does the ship seem to be heading? (He's assuming it's innocuous, given how far to the edge of the area they're at right now.)

Permalink

Northerly, likely up to one of the port cities of the Land of Lightning.

Permalink

He'll ignore it, and try to find them somewhere sheltered to camp as night approaches.

Permalink

They find a suitable location easily enough.

Chihiro would like to speak with him privately.

Permalink

Sure.

Permalink

"Today I saw hidden signs. Used by- a division of ANBU. Directions to a meeting spot."

Permalink

"...Thank you."

Great. He has no idea what the requirements around reading her in would be. And he does, actually, mostly trust her...

Eh, he's not easily replaceable, Tsunade can make his life inconvenient but likely not terminally so, and Sugira thinks she'd support team loyalty, anyways, especially since he's pretty sure she mostly didn't give Chihiro the extra orders, too, out of general paranoia and dislike for Danzo.

"That's... Actually related to why we're really here. We don't want to disturb that meeting spot, necessarily - but I need to know who they're meeting."

Permalink

"...Oh."

"I will stay alert for further information."

Permalink

He nods. "Thank you."

Permalink

She will describe what the signs said of the location of the meeting spot, so he can direct their path toward, around, or away from it.

Permalink

They'll be veering towards it, at an angle to not reach it directly - hopefully to pick up any trails of less trained operatives heading away from it.

Permalink

As they're doing so the next day-

"We're being followed," Neji announces quietly. "I'm getting a flicker on the edge of my range."

Permalink

He nods, expression a bit tight.

"We won't change our path, or let on we've seen them. We'll stop to rest soon, and at that point I'll want to test a spell, and how it works will determine our next action."

Permalink

"I'll keep track of them," Neji says.

Total: 2867
Posts Per Page: