Oct 23, 2018 8:26 PM
signs of intelligent life
Menu
Deskyl and Daisy in Amenta
Permalink

No. No. No no no no no no no. She's only barely recovered from last time they took her; she can't let them take her again.

If she draws her saber, she'll die. There's no doubt in her mind about that, outnumbered as she is and with her master right there. There's nothing she can do; he knows it, they know it, she knows it. They wouldn't do this any other way.

The flash of inspiration is more like a memory; the floating, disconnected kind that sometimes linger after... whatever it is that they do to her. It's never been quite like this before, but - she reaches into the Force, nudges it just so...

 

The burst of feedback - fear and rage and terror - overwhelms her; she reels, barely keeping her feet, distantly aware of the shouting, of her droid stepping forward to steady her. She ignores it as best she can, and continues nudging at the Force, carefully, carefully...

And then, suddenly, she's elsewhere.

Total: 979
Posts Per Page:
Permalink

This is a farm village. There are farms, over there, and farmhouses, all along a road and as close together as the farms allow, and a few stores, and over there are train tracks and a station. There are signs in an unfamiliar curly script and nobody home.

Permalink

She staggers, dropping to one knee, and spends a minute getting her breathing under control, keeping a vague half-eye on her surroundings with the Force - there's nobody nearby, good, but she needs to know if that changes.

When she looks up, the droid is there, crouched in front of her and watching her worriedly. ...be okay, she signs, wincing a little at the effort, and then stands to look around.

 

This could be anywhere; it actually looks a little like her home town. All the script tells her is that Basic isn't the primary language here, and there's plenty of places that that's true of. It being empty is stranger, but it doesn't seem dangerous - there's a vague lingering feeling of fear, if she really pays attention, but no signs of violence, no indication anywhere that people died here.

Figuring that out is exhausting. She needs to lie down; the nearest farmhouse should do fine. She heads for it, gesturing for the droid to follow.

Permalink

The farmhouse has been hastily and incompletely packed up; there are still dishes, curtains, wilting houseplants, furniture. Very little food left, though, a bottle of expired soy sauce and a forgotten potato.

Permalink

She doesn't explore enough to find the potato; rooms without beds aren't interesting just now.

She does go to the effort of telling the droid to look for nearby resources before she falls asleep.

Permalink

And the droid goes to do that. The stores seem like a good place to start.

Permalink

The stores have been mostly cleared out of food, although she can find a surprising-given-the-evacuation quantity of certain specific things, marked with red paint on their packaging. Non-food sections are gappy but less so.

Permalink

The marked food is odd, but it's hard to poison a Sith, it'll probably be fine. She brings a selection back to the farmhouse, along with a token assortment of small tools and equipment; it'll reassure Deskyl to know that they're around to be had. She picks up a couple of books, too; maybe she can figure out some of the local language.

Deskyl is still asleep; she brings in a chair and settles in by the foot of the bed to look at the books.

Permalink

Someone approaches a few hours later in a truck. Alone.

Permalink

Deskyl wakes.

Hide, she tells the droid, when it becomes clear that the person is headed their way; the droid shuts herself in the closet, for lack of better options.

Permalink

Person gets out of the truck, puts on shoe covers and plastic mittens, and starts looking for food. She takes the red-marked stuff. She also checks in every house she can get into without having to climb through a window.

Permalink

She has a really bad feeling about this one house, like some predator is watching her as soon as she approaches it.

Permalink

...spooky.

She goes back to her truck and gets a gun out of the back, although she isn't handling it like she knows how to use it.

Permalink

The spookiness is still there, but nothing stops her from going in.

Permalink

She tromps through the house.

Permalink

The spooky feeling intensifies slightly as she approaches the bedroom.

Inside by the bed is a tall woman with shoulder-length brown hair, dressed in a black outfit with red and gold rings embroidered at the cuffs and a holster hanging from the belt, wielding a copper cylinder that's producing a blade of red light perhaps half as long as she is tall in a low grip that's not immediately threatening. The woman is staring at her already as she opens the door; her body language suggests 'wounded predator' more than anything.

Permalink

...alien? What the fuck?

Like, the hair alone could be "someone dyes it for fun and didn't evacuate" but the red sword thing is not that. For a moment Peka's too startled to react.

Permalink

The woman continues to watch her. She doesn't seem very enthusiastic about her being here.

Permalink

"........hello?"

Permalink

No reaction; not even confusion. Maybe she's deaf?

Permalink

Tentative waving with not-gun hand?

Permalink

Yeah.

 

She sighs, and the blade retreats back into its cylinder with a soft 'voomp' and she sits back down on the bed.

Permalink

There's red-marked food in here. Huh.

Peka tries to come up with a way to gesture "where did you come from, where is your spaceship" but can't quite improve on pointing at the alien and then up.

Permalink

She points up and shakes her head, and then gestures at the pile of hand tools on the bedtable and sets a small wrench to levitating.

Permalink

Whoa. Magic alien. So maybe she does not have a spaceship and just levitated here from her planet. That would... still be up? Or in some other direction if the planet's turned a different way but by convention up. Maybe aliens have a different convention. Peka's confused.

Permalink

She can't do much about that. Droid might be able to, though, and anyway if they're not in danger it's better to keep her in the loop. Deskyl goes to the closet to let her know it's safe.

Total: 979
Posts Per Page:
Back to Top