Feb 03, 2023 9:14 PM
+ Show First Post
Total: 613
Posts Per Page:
Permalink

Davyd wanders up to the tent about half an hour later, carefully carrying a large bowl of water.

Permalink

Deskyl and DZ are sitting outside, waiting; Deskyl seems a little tired, but alert enough.

    "Hello, sir," DZ offers when he gets close enough, signing along as she speaks.

Permalink

"Hi there! I've just come to do a general check-up on Deskyl, if that's okay? I brought the bowl so we can mirror some of it, if she'd prefer a minimally invasive approach; normally on Navarr with an unknown long term condition I'd do a blood draw, but Allegra's been showing me some Urizeni sympathy tricks she uses for chirurgy, so I think I can get away without if you'd prefer."

Permalink

 

    "She says that either way is fine with her, sir."

Permalink

"Excellent. Let me get a good general look at you, first."

The physick sets the bowl down on the ground, unrolls the tool wrap, and takes out a small vial of clear liquid which he upends on a small clump of moss. Then he walks a full circle around Deskyl, regarding her closely; he's clearly going through a mental checklist of potential symptoms, both by visual inspection and by - something like smell, but he seems to be getting more detail out of it than he should. At one point he smells the clump of moss to compare.

"Okay. Nothing obvious besides general fatigue and some old wounds that are healing fine by themselves. Can I get a brief symptom description, then we'll swab an appropriate area, take a tiny amount of blood, and drop it on a few reagents to check internal balances."

Permalink

"Just current symptoms, sir, or also past ones?"

Permalink

"Let's start with current symptoms, if there are relevant past symptoms still connected to them that would also be useful to know; if I spot anything in the blood I'll ask for a more comprehensive medical history, but I think we might be here all day if I try to take a general one?"

Permalink

"Yes sir." She consults with Deskyl. "Her current symptoms are fatigue, difficulty focusing, and memory loss after exertion; the memory loss doesn't happen immediately but the next time she sleeps she'll wake without memories of several minutes before, during, and several hours after the exertion, or more if she exerts herself more intensely or for longer."

Permalink

"Hmm, okay. That does sound a lot like some varieties of gate shock, I hope it's not one that needs ilium or prismatic ink. Can you direct her to follow the lightstone with her gaze?" He digs out a small piece of glowing crystal from his toolkit. "I might be able to get away with an arm draw but it'll be more informative from the temple, if she's okay with that; I've got plenty of clotting moss so the incision will clear up almost immediately." He drops down to an easy deep squat in front of Deskyl, to get into her eyeline with the crystal in anticipation.

Permalink

Deskyl follows the instructions she's given; there's a very slight delay to her reactions when it changes direction, but she's otherwise entirely able to track the lightstone. She's a little more skeptical of the nonstandard blood draw location, but relays her consent to that as well.

Permalink

Davyd carefully takes out another piece of moss, dampens it in the bowl of water, and swabs Deskyl's temple - there is a cooling feeling and a slight numbing. He takes what looks quite a lot like a clay sculpting tool and another pinch of moss, makes a very quick, very small incision in her temple, intending to soak up the blood in the moss - which also seems to accelerate the healing of the incision.

Permalink

Deskyl stays very still throughout this process, not flinching at all when the blade breaks her skin.

Permalink

Davyd carefully applies the blood-soaked moss to a few other drops of clear liquids, gazes at it deeply, and makes a range of "Hmm," noises. Eventually he seems to come to some kind of conclusion.

"So. Good news, it's not going to kill you. For the memory loss, I have some smelling salts," he presents her with a neatly cork-stoppered glass tube full of rose-coloured crystals. "Shake the tube and take a sniff of these during the time that you'd normally lose, it will reinforce memory formation - it's likely to take several applications to cover the whole time at first, come back to me if they start losing potency. There's some kind of persistent effect there which is causing hearing loss, it's not physical; it can probably be disrupted with a vital honey salve if you want to, except I don't have any vital honey on hand so we'd have to order it in. And I'll brew up some Drake's Tea for you to take with dinner, that will help keep your healing up - brain injury's a tricky one, I could attempt to treat it more aggressively but I don't think the potential downsides are worth it in this case."

Permalink

 

    "Thank you, sir. The hearing loss is an intentional effect that Master Deskyl is maintaining; it's mostly unrelated to her injuries and she expects to be able to replace it with something less impairing when she's more able to focus. She appreciates the smelling salts and the tea."

Permalink

"Right, then." He packs up all of his equipment, and picks up the bowl again. "Trade wagon should be here soon, if you're interested; normally the highlight of the week, whatever artisan Allegra's persuaded to join us is likely along with it too."

Permalink

 

    "Yes sir." They'll wait, then.

Permalink

Eventually, people start to get excited and drift towards the road segment just before the warehouse; a lookout has come running ahead of the trade wagon to let people know it's arriving shortly. Bundles of handicrafts, choice bits of hide, and similar trade goods are being somewhat anarchically marshalled; Allegra is hanging around the warehouse waiting to greet the artisan; some people have put together a crude wheeled sledge and are awaiting forge components.

Permalink

Deskyl finds a good spot to leave DZ, and has a look at the assembled trade goods while she's waiting for the wagon; she's back with the droid by the time it comes into view, though.

Permalink

They're generally not very impressive. Mostly time consuming but not very high skill things, handcarved wooden spoons, patterned ribbons with vine designs, little embroidery patches to be sewn onto clothes, knitted woollen socks, that kind of thing.

The wagon is drawn by two oxen, and only just fits down the winding road. There's a proper hooped hide-covered main section. The accompanying traders - looks like baseline humans, not particularly interested in this stop, the big one's next - are walking alongside, but sitting on the back step is a pointy-eared lady with pastel blue swirls on her face as well as the ubiquitous thorny vine tattoo who is intensely curious about everything.

The traders are suddenly more interested in what is going on when they spot DZ, although they don't immediately change their routine approach.

Permalink

Deskyl and DZ are hanging back slightly in the crowd; they stay put as the wagon approaches.

Permalink

"Good day to you!" calls one of the traders to Allegra. "I'm sure it's Vate business, but I'm awful nosy - can we tell anyone you've got a herald in? Haven't seen one down this way for a while."

The other trader starts unhooking the hide cover and making ready to put the side down on the wagon - they've got an unusual amount of heavy stuff to deliver here today. She waves over the people with the sledge to come set up, and tells a couple of the hopeful individuals with trade goods that she'll be with them in a minute.

The changeling hops down off the back of the wagon and also heads to Allegra, but is definitely staring at DZ whenever she thinks she can get away with it. "Hi there! Ooh, is that one from the Forgemistress? I'd definitely waive some of my stipend to work with one of those!"

Permalink

Deskyl gives the sledge team a longing look, and after a brief consultation with DZ, she scoops the droid up into a bridal carry to drop her off with Allegra and then goes to help with the unloading.

Permalink

"I'm afraid it's not really common knowledge, I'd appreciate it if you can keep it under your hat," replies Allegra to the traders. "I'll explain for you later, Angharad. You'll probably be working with her at least some of the time. DZ, this is Broker Catrin Closehaul and artisan Angharad - do you have an existing Striding name you're keeping, or?"

"Angharad Foundhome now, unless you've got anything you want me to swear before I claim it," replies Angharad.

"No, you're very welcome," Allegra replies.

Meanwhile, extra hands at the unloading are entirely welcome; there's a big anvil nobody was looking forwards to moving, as well as quite an extensive pile of tools and firebricks.

Permalink

The big anvil is no trouble at all for telekinesis, and hopefully gets the point across that they want Deskyl on moving the biggest, heaviest things.

Permalink

"It's good to meet you, ma'am, ma'am."

Total: 613
Posts Per Page: