Jul 06, 2022 10:04 PM
Mabel in Delena
+ Show First Post
Total: 253
Posts Per Page:
Permalink

Mabel is updating in favor of whatever this species is being prone to body mods.

This is fine; Mabel generally prefers bland food but she'd really rather not go through the trouble of trying to communicate this, and she remains worried about being rude.

No way to communicate thank you; she takes the tray and tries to smile extra big to convey thanks.

Does the medic's daughter want to come in? Mabel is going to move to the side to and make space for her to pass through the door; she's as always not quite sure the etiquette here.

Permalink

Uh, sure.

She pauses noticeably at the door, but manages to step through after a second, and looks around to see if there's any sign of what Mabel might need from her.

Permalink

Oh no! She wasn't expecting to come inside! This has made the interaction harder!

Mabel is going to try nodding to show that she's alright and hope that the healer has communicated what these gestures mean.

Permalink

That's the yes gesture, probably, but she didn't ask anything? She doesn't share this confusion, though. And everything looks all right at least at first glance. Can Mabel show her what she needs?

Permalink

Oh no! Oh no! She can't!

Mabel is going to shake her head and maybe try opening the door again and gesturing towards it.

Permalink

She will thusly be shooed!

The food turns out to be quite tasty, anyway.

Permalink

And not too long after she's done eating, the medic stops by to drop off some unprepared food - almost entirely plants, but also half a dozen eggs - and ask if she's doing all right.

Permalink

Plants and eggs she can work with!

She is doing alright! She nods.

She really wants to ask if she can teach or make up new gestures for communication right now, but that's unfortunately really hard to do when she's not able to communicate. She's hopeful that if she can be taught to read she can read whatever books they have on how to do telepathy magic, that would make things so much easier.

Permalink

All right. She shouldn't hesitate to use the call bell if she has any problems.

The medic is planning to go ask around a bit this afternoon and see if she can find out where Mabel came from - she's guessing there's a traveling household visiting the community right now that she hasn't heard about or something. Her household has been told not to let any strangers in and she has no intention of making Mabel go with anyone if she doesn't want to, she just wants to figure out what's going on here. Is that okay?

Permalink

That's... not remotely at all what happened and it seems like a lot of assumptions are being made here, but any attempts to communicate this will probably just cause more confusion.

It is okay, even if it won't be useful. Mabel nods.

Permalink

(There are definitely some assumptions being made, but it seems wise to make at least a few, given the situation - the burns could have been an accident rather than an assault, but how would someone who can't craft get acid like that?)

All right, good. Her daughter has the call bell, and they've shuffled the chores around a bit so someone might have time to start on the dictionary with her before dinner, but no promises about that.

She leaves her alone again, and Mabel has a couple more hours to herself before she hears someone moving around on the porch (or maybe doesn't, if she's in bed with the soundproofing on). There's a window there, if she wants to check what's going on.

Permalink

Mabel has mostly been poking around the house, pressing all the buttons except the call bells. A few times she spends five minutes turning the mirror or wall transparency on and off. 
She will go over to the window and look out!

Permalink

Yep, there's someone out there. He doesn't move like a human - his legs are short and tilted forward, giving him a more gorilla-like gait, complete with knuckle-walking. He has tentacles, longer and thinner than the medic's, that he touches everything around him with, and a pair of bushy mothlike antennae, and his general aesthetic is black with bright blue highlights at the tips of things - the ends of his hair, the last few inches of his tentacles, his antennae. After a moment she catches a glimpse of his eyes, and they're a solid shiny blue; the way he's touching everything makes a little more sense if she considers that he might be blind. If so, it isn't slowing him down much; he has a small bug-legged platform piled with mottled grey objects that he's unloading onto the porch.

Permalink

More people to struggle to talk too! Also, whatever race this is really has staggering biodiversity, Mabel is very impressed. She wouldn't be surprised if she has actually heard of them before but in the sense that someone saw one or two people and generalized incorrectly from all of them.

She is going to go open the door again, but she's not going to try to invite him in this time.

Permalink

He notices immediately, and pauses to greet her: This stuff is the kitchenwares that peaches said she needed, and honeysuckle will be by when she's finished doing garden maintenance to fix it up with Mabel's aesthetic and bring it inside. Or she can take it now if there's something she needs, but he knows he can't do a very good public-use grey, so. She can touch the tentacle he offers her if she wants him to go over what everything is, but she does have to touch it, he can't see gestures at all. Or, uh, make noise, he guesses, he's heard she does that.

Permalink

Most of this is vaguely familiar but she'll touch his tentacle anyway, she'd like to avoid any mistakes and assumptions.

She doesn't really care about things matching her aesthetic but it seems to be important to everyone, so she'll wait until honeysuckle comes back to take the things, she doesn't need anything just yet.

 

Permalink

Most of the stuff is boxes of plates and cups and utensils and cooking tools, but there's also a mini fridge and mini freezer, a countertop-sized oven, and a set of self-heating pots and pans to cook in.

Actually since he's got her attention anyway he'll ask if she wants a stool for her kitchen area, too, while he's got the crafting material out.

Permalink

Wow, these are some fancy iceboxes! And self-heating pots and pans... when she can write she's definitely going to ask how they made these and try to replicate it at home.

She would love a stool, thank you!

Permalink

All right, he'll take care of that as soon as he's done unloading this stuff. (It's going to be a bit, he doesn't move very fast with his hands full.)

Permalink

She doesn't mind! She is going to hover awkwardly in the door for a bit and then sit on the ground and watch.

She braids her hair while she waits, for something to do.

Permalink

He doesn't seem inclined to chat while he works, and more or less ignores her - the only obvious adjustment he makes to account for her is that he's careful not to get his tentacles too close when he's passing by. He does pause after unloading the last box, though: he expects that she's going to have a really rough time communicating with him, what with the blindness, but if there's something else she needs and she wants to try to tell him, she's got his attention.

Permalink

Not chatting is fine; this way she doesn't have to panic about finding a way to respond. She just watches him and does her hair.

She doesn't need anything else! Really, what she needs is to learn to write, and will just wait for those lessons to start before asking for other things. She doesn't know how to communicate this so she just stays silent and keeps her hands to herself.

Permalink

He heads back to the main building after giving her a few seconds to respond and telling her he'll be right back with the crafting material and stool models; he uses a tentacle to grab a handle on the platform, and it walks behind him as he goes, following him inside. A few minutes later he's back with a pile of cubes and a small box full of miniature chairs that he offers to her; on examination four or five of the miniatures are indeed perfectly proportioned stools.

Do any of those look good to her as is, or does she want tools to modify one or make something from scratch?

Permalink

She cannot make anything from scratch either with their magic or her own culture's woodworking! She's not good with her hands.

She is going to pick a stool option mostly at random. Whichever has four legs instead of three, probably; she does want whichever looks the most stable.

Permalink

He takes the model she offers him, steps over to the pile of blocks, and transforms it into a perfect human-sized replica of the miniature, with a couple of blocks left over; the new stool can go on the porch with the rest of the things, and the miniature can go back into the box to get put away.

Honeysuckle should be by soon; he just needs to put this stuff away and he can go help her finish up with the gardens.

Total: 253
Posts Per Page: