Feb 26, 2021 11:32 AM
smol bell in urtho's tower
+ Show First Post
Total: 4546
Posts Per Page:
Permalink

:Lionwind's office, what is it:

Permalink

Ma'ar still isn't totally sure, but the hissing not-quite-audible scream is suddenly all too audible. 

:Explosion. Here: He sends a sense of his location, a flash of the nearest statue-landmark he just passed. :- People injured -: he's kind of guessing about that but there are definitely screams of pain, :- I think - steam or something - this is the artificers' building -:

Permalink

:Shit. Uh, find me a stable near place to Gate in?:

Permalink

He's just reached the door - and it'll take him an entire minute or two to set up to scry the other side of it and check if it's safe, damn it there isn't time - he reaches out with Thoughtsensing, not quite open enough to read surface thoughts, just enough to sense minds and whether those minds are panicked or injured - 

...Better not to risk opening it before he has a better shield up. He spins on his heels. Fixes his eyes on one of the many pretty decorative archways, festooned with flowering vines, and carefully opens his senses to Azabel without letting any of his other shields slip. :Here: 

Permalink

She's through seconds later; the gate collapses behind her. She builds shields around herself to match his own. "Any better idea what it is yet?"

Permalink

He's spent the last fifteen seconds trying to establish a Mindspeech link with someone inside; none of them are Gifted, it seems, and they're all (unsurprisingly) panicking, he's gotten a few snippets but nothing that useful. 

"Some sort of - steam mechanism to power things? Part of it exploded - I'm doing shields so I can open the door, can you try to talk to someone inside, you're more practiced at Mindspeech I think–"

Permalink

"Mm." And she talks to Skan and her parents, none of whom are themselves Mindspeakers - :Hello? What happened in there?:

Permalink

This senior student is so panicked! Five different things are happening at once and they're trying to find the ruptured pipe and the source of that EXTREMELY ALARMING hiss of escaping steam and whether they can prevent the rest from blowing and also there are injured younger students crying out in pain and they can't see because everything is full of scalding steam - 

:Experiment, pipe burst - pressure too high - trying to seal the rest....: 

Permalink

"Burst pipe, steam," she summarizes to Ma'ar, "I'm going to open the door to vent it and so the door itself doesn't go flying, stand back." And she tugs on the door with magic.

Permalink

There's a whoosh of escaping steam, puffing out in white clouds, but the built-up pressure isn't that high, since it's been distributed across the whole corridor and room. 

Permalink

Ma'ar reinforces the shield over both of them, just in case, and then casts a little wind-spell to clear out more of the steam. It's still hot enough to sting his face, but not actually burn. 

Permalink

She lights up the place. Light helps in fog, might help here. A path of lights to the outside for the people within to follow, a sense-of-direction in case that doesn't cut it.

Permalink

A couple of people stagger up and move, one of them trying to drag a semiconscious fellow student. 

The senior student is still frozen, staring at the complicated assembly of steel pipes and tanks now faintly visible through wreaths of steam. 

Permalink

"I think the rest is still unstable," Ma'ar hisses. "- Can you focus on getting people out, I'll try to contain it -"

Permalink

"Mm." :You need to get out, you can tell us how to keep it under control: she tells the frozen one. The dragged student can be helped along with a little magic tugging to supplement the dragging - is there anybody else -

Permalink

:This weld is under strain: the senior student manages, with a vague gesture at it. :Here too - and - main boiler, fire, need to - put it out - I can't get in there...: 

And he jars himself into motion. The semiconscious student is successfully dragged out. 

There's one more student, unconscious in a heap in the opposite corner of the hall. 

Permalink

Aza repeats what he said about the problem, bouncing it to Ma'ar, and tries to get a bead on the unconscious one with Othersenses supplementing steam-obscured vision to seize him gently by the ankles and drag him out.

Permalink

It would be a LOT easier to deal with this if he could go in and get a closer look, however, Ma'ar isn't stupid. He shifts his angle by the door, uses another wind-spell to blow a bit more steam out of the way, and clamps a force-net around the welded pipe seal. It's not hard to locate, since it's the one with fresh steam hissing and screeching out. Meanwhile he's still trying to hold some hasty shielding over the fleeing students, and the unconscious one as Azabel drags him or her... 

Boiler. Fire. Where is it... He can't see much, it must be buried in the tangle of welded pipes that make up the mechanism. 

If he were better at casting complex spells on the fly, maybe he could use the freezing-refrigeration one, but he can only do that one fast with an artifact, which he doesn't have on him, and even if he did he's not sure how he would adapt it to do this... He could do a clumsy version just on the entire room, maybe, that would only take him a minute or so to cast, but he's not sure he's powerful enough to pull heat out of that much volume...

- however fires need air - 

Making an impermeable-to-air shield is a lot faster, and he doesn't need to know exactly where the air intake is. 

- now that he's force-netted the one weld, a different one is hissing dangerously - 

Ma'ar drops the shielding over the students, since they're all out now. :Azabel can you shield the door now - need to concentrate...: 

Permalink

:On it: she says, though she's also trying to summon Healers and see if anybody needs anything she learned in magic-field-medicine class.

Permalink

None of the kids are bleeding to a life-threatening extent, though the one she dragged out is bleeding somewhat from a scalp wound. All of them have scalds and burns of varying seriousness. The unconscious one she dragged out presumably has a head injury, possibly an injured spine as well. He's breathing but not that well. The other semiconscious student has a broken arm; the bone isn't quite poking through the skin but is definitely poking up against it. 

Permalink

Careful, focus, careful.... Ma'ar lays a shield over the contours of the bizarre welded-metal setup. Makes it impermeable. Tries to trace, by the feel of resistance-against-his-magic alone, where the boiler is taking in air... 

Permalink

She could set the arm but with Healers near to hand it's better she leave it to them. Head injury shouldn't move but isn't anyway. She focuses on the shield, roots it to a ley-line, watches what Ma'ar is doing to be ready to pick up anything he drops.

Permalink

He's narrowing down the area that he thinks the air-intake is in, paying very very close attention to whether this is resulting in more or less pressure on the several areas of force-net that he's holding over strained welds. 

...the hissing is definitely getting quieter... 

Permalink

The first Healer arrives at a run, very out of breath, before Ma'ar is finished. "What's - going on...?" 

Permalink

"There was an explosion, injured are there." Point.

Total: 4546
Posts Per Page: