Mar 07, 2021 10:16 AM
Deskyl and DZ in the Chancery
+ Show First Post
Total: 332
Posts Per Page:
Permalink

DZ has finished the dictionary by then, and gone around looking at the various appliances and the instructions printed on them. Her first priority when she gets on the computer, after a few minutes figuring out the interface, is to look for an overview of the world; she quickly finds wikipedia, and even more quickly reads through a few dozen articles to that effect.

With that done, she goes looking for work that she can do from the Chancery.

"Excuse me, ma'am? Do you have an idea of how much I'll be able to use the computer without inconveniencing you?"

Permalink

"Well, I don't know if you need to sleep or not, but it's available to you whenever I'm not actually using it. I'd say I'm on about four hours a day?"

Permalink

"Thank you, ma'am. I don't need to sleep, will it bother you for me to be here overnight?"

Permalink

"The screen is kind of bright, but I can just sleep out in the hallway, my bed's easy enough to move."

Permalink

"That's all right, ma'am, I can plan to only use it during the day."

Permalink

"No, that would be senselessly wasteful. Help me pull my bed out into the hall."

Permalink

"Yes ma'am." She's fairly strong for her size, it turns out.

Permalink

The bed is just bulky anyway, not actually heavy. It's all foam and air. 

"Thank you," says December. "Feel free to use the computer, I'm going to go talk to Clematis about preparedness after this. I'm expecting the Noble of Robots to show up any day now."

Permalink

"-can you tell me more about that, please, ma'am?"

Permalink

"There's someone who's responsible for all robots everywhere, and they probably sensed an extremely unusual robot pop into existence about a day ago. Perhaps a threat to all of Robotics. The Noble is likely to come have a look personally just to make sure everything is on the up-and-up, and when she finds what looks like a group of Strategists..."

She smiles crookedly. "We may have to do some fast talking."

Permalink

"Yes ma'am. Do you think it would help for Master Deskyl to be available to speak to them?"

Permalink

"I think they're going to want to talk to you specifically. Determine whether you're a threat or not. Having Deskyl awake to corroborate your story might help reassure them though."

Permalink

She nods, "thank you, ma'am," and heads for the stairs.

Permalink

December follows, not because she's following DZ but because it's important she talk to Clematis about this.

Permalink

DZ heads for the study, and not too long after that she and Deskyl come out to look for Clematis as well.

Permalink

They all meet up in the kitchen. 

"Ah, I see everyone's here," says Clematis. "Has Deskyl been brought up-to-date on the situation?"

Permalink

    "Not to her satisfaction, ma'am."

Permalink

"What does she want to know?"

Permalink

Signing ensues.

    "She'd like to know what to expect, ma'am - what you think they're going to ask and why, and what will happen if they're satisfied or unsatisfied with the answer, and how she can expect them to react to you or to her."

Permalink

"I think they're going to ask what's up with DZ because they aren't accustomed to robots of her type or the fact that she suddenly started existing here a couple days ago. If they meet one of us and see our eyes that will be bad because they're likely to assume we're the bad kind of Strategist that's still fighting reality. There is, however, something of an informal cease-fire, and the four of us could more than fight off a single Power if they tried something stupid. It would just cost all of us. So it really depends a lot on how reasonable the Power of Robotics is. They might even not investigate at all. Worst-case we lose the house and have to find someplace else in a hurry; best case they don't investigate or are turned aside easily."

Permalink

    "Thank you, ma'am."

 

    "Master Deskyl would like to know more about what will happen if you need to fight them."

Permalink

"Then it will be a mess. The World-Breaker's Hand will likely become involved. The house wouldn't survive most likely, but we'd protect you and DZ. Don't try to fight the Power yourself, you are not that strong. We'd outnumber them four-to-one but they might get their Familia involved - other Powers that they're bonded to by the same Imperator. In that case it could be anyone's game, so our plan is to negotiate and if necessary hold a fighting retreat."

Permalink

Deskyl makes a face when Clematis says she's not strong enough, but doesn't push the issue.

    "Is there anything else we would need to know during or afterward in that case, ma'am? Logistical or strategic considerations?"

Permalink

"Stay close to me or Aurica if it comes to blows. We're the ones who will be coordinating. But... I have an understanding with one of the local Nobles, so I'm going to work on getting them to intercede."

Permalink

"Yes ma'am."

Deskyl gestures encouragingly rather than sign, this time.

"Can you tell me anything else about what they might ask, or what Nobles are like in general, please?"

Total: 332
Posts Per Page: