This post has the following content warnings:
Jul 23, 2019 11:26 AM
The meeting of some space werewolves and some silvers
+ Show First Post
Total: 414
Posts Per Page:
Permalink

"Doing magic by accident is pretty rare. And I am on the same boat, with regarding the three friends, I mean. But we haven't figured out how or what they do."

Permalink

"I guess it depends if anyone believes the three friends... wait here a bit."  They're coming up on a concrete wall with some concerning cracks; she ducks under one last pipe and jogs ahead to it, then closes her eyes and stands very still for a moment.  "Okay, should be clear."

Permalink

Fernando asks a question and Thomas relays. "What was that about?"

Permalink

"Checking if anyone's on the other side- usually it's pretty dead but 's worth being careful."  One of the cracks a bit further down has crumbled at the edges, nearly three feet wide at the bottom; she ducks into it and there's the sound of metal scraping on stone.

Permalink

The triplets follow carefully. Fernando uses flight to go through.

Permalink

It's quite a thick wall, but luckily the crack doesn't get narrow enough at any point that they'd have to squeeze.  The space on the other side is superficially similar to the one they left, but the overhead pipes are in somewhat better repair and there's green light filtering down from above at regular intervals- not terribly bright but plenty to see by after their eyes have adjusted to only glow-fungus and candleflame.  The hum and thump of machinery is louder and closer here, the swish and gurgle of pipes nearly constant.

Permalink

They continue following Peg, carefully.

"Why is your fish farm thing so isolated?"

Permalink

"It's not, uh, strictly legal."  She slides a piece of corrugated metal back over the crack; there are other makeshift patches further down the wall.  "That whole section's shut down, cave-in damaged the algae tanks and apparently it wasn't cost-effective to repair them."

Permalink

"I can probably shore it up if it's actually dangerous."

Permalink

Peg goes to demur automatically, then stops.  "...magically, or just like, with bricks?"

Permalink

"Why not magic bricks? But I meant magically reinforcing the structure."

Permalink

"How big a structure could you do, and how likely is it to backfire, and how bad would it be if it did?  Because I don't think that section is unusually more dangerous than anyplace else, but everyplace else is... not in entirely great shape either."

Permalink

"Backfiring depends if someone messes with the ritual set up, but it isn't that complicated ritual to make non-moving structures non-magically stable. A conservative estimate says that I could do the structure as big I've seen there in a few days, a single day if Fernando and Felix helped. Faster if we were willing to spend a time low on health and even faster if we got volunteers to provide some of their own health to the ritual."

Permalink

Peg switches to a more guttural language to swear quietly for a moment.  "Okay.  Okay, uh.  If you're willing, and if it's really as safe as all that, we would love to have your help.  Probably'd have to keep it quiet enough you won't get picked up as mages, but- that's a solvable problem."

Permalink

"Nasty words. But sure. There is probably more actively magical stuff that I can do, but nothing on top of my head, and we didn't bring that many ritual instructions that weren't inside a water-damaged electronic."

Permalink

Fernando says something with a smirk.

Permalink

"Correction. Our phones are not water-damaged because Fernando waterproofed them. Ha."

Permalink

"Good for him!  If you do have anything that's broken, I know a changeling who fixes things for a living- probably we should go to the changelings at some point anyway, they sort out papers for suddenly-appearing people all the time- but I'm thinking dry clothes and meeting Gran first still, yeah?"

Permalink

"Sounds like a solid plan. Electronics are complicated, unless you don't mind losing your data and you have something of the same model around. But ritual magic is fairly versatile." He explains the plan to the other two. "If Gran doesn't object, we would like to perform some rituals to get translation magic on them."

 

Permalink

"Can't imagine she'd have a problem with that, no, long as you don't need to do it in the middle of the street or something."

Permalink

"Nah. Ideally in a relatively quiet room where we won't be interrupted while doing some hand gestures, reciting some words and draw a few runes on our foreheads."

Permalink

"Yeah, we can get you that.  D'you need a volunteer for that one?"

Permalink

Head shake. "It's self-cast, and we have the materials."

Permalink

"Sounds good.  There's an emergency staircase coming up that'll get you pretty near my place, but it's a ways up even if you're used to the gravity, probably we want the cargo lift."

Permalink

Thomas shrugs. "Sounds good."

Total: 414
Posts Per Page: