This post has the following content warnings:
Jun 26, 2019 5:01 PM
demon cam lands in the alteriverse
+ Show First Post
Total: 308
Posts Per Page:
Permalink

"Okay, I'm gonna go first in case they decide to open with a volley of bullets or something. Who needs a wheelchair?"

Permalink

"About forty." She points out people.

Permalink

Cam distributes electric wheelchairs, briefly demonstrates the function of a joystick, and opens up the hatch to stroll down the ramp.

Permalink

He's greeted by three humans and what looks like a rounded, floating fish tank with a giant barnacle in it.

"Greetings, Atriama," says the giant barnacle, by means of a computerized vocal interface. The giant barnacle's tank also has a screen on it that helpfully displays its words in English, just in case the person being spoken to is hard of hearing. "I apologize for asking you to come to us. We are somewhat unused to movement, and therefore sometimes impaired."

Permalink

"It's fine," Cam says. "We were already in transit. However, some of these people aren't used to Earth gravity and if it's safe to do so might prefer to relocate."

Permalink

"It is not terribly safe at this time. My colleagues are discussing their circumstances through other channels, but it would be helpful to hear your version of events as soon as is reasonably possible."

Permalink

"The short version is, I was brought aboard the Alteri ship, attempted to talk to them about what to do next, and was promptly blown into space with all these people who were fortunately already wearing biosuits, whereupon I made this shuttle and headed Earthward; you presumably have access to information about my communications therewith."

Permalink

"Where were you previously?"

Permalink

"The short version is that before that I was at home."

Permalink

"I think I would like to hear the longer version. But perhaps you would prefer to handle accommodations for your passengers first."

Permalink

"Yes, that seems potentially time-sensitive. Can you help with that? I need some open space if nothing else."

Permalink

"We have rooms here. I don't think we have any relevantly open space apart from perhaps the lot and the roof."

     "The thought among the people talking things out is that it would be best if you didn't leave Carthon territory until this is settled," says one of the humans, a youngish-looking woman with a headscarf. "Unfortunately the Carthons don't have very much in the way of territory."

Permalink

"Well, rooms will do, it's just if you didn't have anything that could be converted into a hotel on short notice I would have had to erect one myself."

Permalink

"I have heard of your abilities in vague terms. I would appreciate expansion on them as well, but it seems appropriate to move your companions before discussing them."

Permalink

"I agree, thank you. The short version is I make things."

Permalink

"Do you want us to board the ship, or would you rather discuss things with them first?" asks one of the humans. 

Permalink

"The latter. What should I tell them about the accommodations available?"

Permalink

"We have twelve, two beds each. If you have a lot more than a few dozen then I guess we can tile one of the meeting rooms with sleeping bags?" says the one in the headscarf. "It's not comfy but it'll be short-term anyway."

Permalink

"I'll convey this, back in a bit." He almost said "minute" but it might take five and perhaps that would offend the barnacles. He goes back into the ship. "They have twenty-four beds; I may be able to augment their furniture situation and we can spill over into meeting rooms. Are you guys up for disembarking and being put up in their building?"

Permalink

There are nods from around the room. 

"I think we're about equally vulnerable anywhere, so - sure."

Permalink

"All right then. The chairs are rated for the ramp." And he leads them out.

Permalink

The humans from the embassy guide the slaves up to their rooms. The Carthon stays.

Imrainai stands around waiting awkwardly by Cam, because she's not really entirely sure where she's expected to be going.

Permalink

"Is there anywhere I can put the psyon where she won't be in range of non-consenting people? Perhaps I could add a tower to some of this architecture?" Cam asks, wheeling her out.

Permalink

"I worry that immediate construction projects might alarm observers. She can be flown to a different embassy within a few hours, if you believe it is important for her to be separated from the others."

Permalink

"I don't like having my mind read and don't want to require it of third parties who don't volunteer for it either, but I don't want to keep her knocked out indefinitely."

Total: 308
Posts Per Page: