This post has the following content warnings:
Nov 19, 2019 12:34 PM
Permalink

He waves at the snake like he would any other person but doesn't pay it much attention until it comes closer.

"Hey, stop," he tells it as it approaches, and then "don't touch me" when it doesn't stop.

If it says anything back to him he has no way of knowing, and then suddenly it reaches him and he's somewhere else.

Total: 18
Posts Per Page:
Permalink

He's in a narrow, grimy alley of tall grey buildings, paved in concrete, badly lit by blue lights set into arches between the buildings. The air is chilly and humid, but smells dusty and burnt. Nobody is on the street, and the fire escape ladders are retracted, but there are lights on in some of the high windows.

Permalink

He squeezes his eyes shut and blinkblinkblinks until he's used to the blue light. Tests and retests and finally retracts his network connections. This clearly isn't the open world and trying to naively break through whatever firewall is in his way is likely to end badly.

Except that there isn't a firewall, there's just... nothing. That's never happened, ever, even when he was trapped he could still tell there was something even if he couldn't do anything about it.

So something is very wrong.

If he goes exploring does he find any people?

Permalink

Down an alley, there are a few people in what look a little like gas masks, gathered around a fire burning in a metal trash can. One of them waves when they see him.

Permalink

He waves back cautiously.

"Where is this?"

Permalink

The group shuffles to make room for him around the fire, but nobody seems to understand his signs.

Permalink

He points to his ear; if they think he should have to listen, that's their problem, but they might just be confused.

Permalink

This is met with scattered nodding. The person next to him pulls a crumpled fabric mask out of a pocket and offers it to him.

Permalink

He takes it and stares at it in confusion.

Permalink

Someone else waves a hand around at the the air and mimes coughing, then taps his own mask and mimes stretching something over his lower face.

Permalink

Oh, okay, he doesn't need it, then. He'll hand it back to the person who gave it to him.

Permalink

The owner looks confused, but accepts it back and shoves it into a pocket.

Permalink

"I'm lost," he tries again, just in case. "Is this a simulation? A prison?"

Permalink

One of them frowns, and shakily spells "YOV OK?", in the shaky signs of someone who learned the letters a few years ago. One of the others starts pressing buttons on their watch.

Permalink

"I am lost," he spells slowly, clearly.

Permalink

The person looking at the watch nods, and converses with the others, then carefully spells out "BUS HALF MILE, HOSPITAL 10, SHELTER AND MONEY 2", looking at their watch between letters and pointing a different direction for each location.

Permalink

He's not sure he likes how those are split up. "Shelter?"

Permalink

"Out alley, down 3 blocks, 1 mile up big road toward tower, watch for cars, turn right down side street at clothes store, 5 blocks down, big neon sign after brick building with posters on left. Help with place to sleep usually, money or medical sometimes."

Permalink

Aaaagh, it's not quite slow enough to make him want to turn his ears on but it's still painfully slow.

That doesn't sound as bad as the implications made it seem. He thanks them and sets off.

This Thread Is On Hiatus
Total: 18
Posts Per Page: